Stupid eMac question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dopey220, Sep 8, 2006.

1. macrumors 6502

dopey220

The Visual Arts department at my school just got brand-new Intel iMacs for the computer labs, so they're selling the old 700 Mhz eMacs for $75 a pop. I'm definitely planning on buying one, as that's a FANTASTIC deal for a decent machine. I'm planning on getting various upgrads for it, but a friend just told me he doesn't think they can be upgraded. Is that true? I'm getting it either way, but I'm just curious.

2. macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

You can definetely upgrade the ram, optical drive and hard drive. The rest would be very tough, if not impossible.

In any case, for $75, I'd buy five and give them as gifts to family & friends. Just curious, is this a superdrive model?

3. macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

Holy cow. Give us all the address so we can assemble a mob!

4. macrumors regular

YES! I'll buy at least five!

Now, true, the eMacs are pretty non-upgradable. But old Macs are still dead useful. My LC575 still plays a mean SimTower.

5. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Although its a bit of a task, its not impossible. Mine was a 800MHz, Combo Drive, 40Gig with 256RAM but have lashed a 200gig Hard Drive in another 512meg of RAM and a DL DVD±RW

it is a bit of a pain in the arse, but google eMac Disassembly and there is a couple of good guides. But if your gonna upgrade the HDD and the Optical Drive, do it at the same time, save you takin it apart twice... Like I did...

6. macrumors 601

generik

That's actually a good price... our uni's old Mac labs still uses eMacs with that exact same processor.... and the older labs are still running iMacs... :eek:

7. thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately, I was told by the system administrator that they only have 50 to sell, so there's a limit of one per person, and I assume you have to be a student. Otherwise I'd buy four or five of them. Keep a couple for myself, and sell the rest on eBay.:)

Anyway, I'll definitely be getting to school as early as possible the day they sell them to ensure that I get one. I tell you guys how it works out as soon as I get home.

8. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Shame. Deffo worth buying one or two for yourself tho...

9. macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

I have an eMac myself. The RAM is very easy to upgrade, I've heard the optical drive is fairly easy to upgrade, but I've been told that the hard drive is very difficult to upgrade. Mostly because its crammed under the monitor somewhere, and you have to get very close to some high voltage monitor components to get to the hard drive. I opted to just tack on a few external FW drives instead....

10. macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

11. thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. I was thinking hard about getting an external drive even before I heard about this deal anyway. I'm also definitely going to upgrade the RAM, but I probably won't bother upgrading the optical drive unless it dies, because I've already got a superdrive in my Macbook anyway. I's a shame you can't upgrade the processor. That would've made it perfect.

12. macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Too bad its not the 800mhz ATI Radeon models. Its actually possible to overclock those CPU's quite a bit. I brought mines from 800mhz -> 1.4ghz, and that was back before the 1.4ghz eMacs were even available!

Other than that, the best you can do is upgrade the hard drive (NOT FUN to do), optical drive, and RAM.

13. macrumors member

Hi all, my first post here, hope I can add something useful here first time out. It may be interesting and thought provoking anyway!

I stuck a Zalman Fan Mate 2 in mine and along with the maxed out RAM, I now have a fast and quiet eMac, compared to just a month ago. The fan noise is now unobtrusive and frankly, bliss, compared to what it was. It needed a little modification along the way, but still well worth it. If anybody wants info, just continue the thread or send a pm.

Now, about my RAM. I was always of the opinion that only Mac compatible RAM was to be used, otherwise, all sorts of stuff would happen. So with that in mind, I went and ordered a 512Mb Mac compatible block from a supplier. It was a bit over the odds of what I was expecting, at €107, but that was all that was available.

Until I tried a supplier much closer to me, that is. They couldn't supply Mac compatible, but when I was offered Kingston Value RAM for €26, literally a quarter of the other one, I thought I'd be willing to give it a shot, seeing as was from a reputable company. Even if it didn't work, I wasn't at so much of a loss.

But since I fitted it, I'm happy to report that there have been no problems, after about a month in the system. Working a treat! Everything is now much faster than I could have hoped for.

I only wish I could have found this before I shelled out over €100 for the first block, but there you go.

Damo

14. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can upgrade the RAM and add in Airport yourself. I know a local Mac shop that'll do an installation of the optical drive and a new hard drive for $60. Well if you already have the new parts. :D

15. macrumors member

CellarDoor

awww mannnnnn.

That's my computer. I'm typing on a machine valued by undoubtedly learned men at $75.

C2D MBP. come into my embrace expeditiously.

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

a 700 mhz G4 eMac is worth way more than $75. I'm just getting a fantastic deal through my school. Here, maybe this'll make you feel better:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Apple-eMac-G4-7...ryZ80041QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It's at $170, and still around a day and a half to go before the auction ends.

17. macrumors 65816

Even the HD isn't *that* bad to do... just take your time, keep track of your screws and where they came from, and remember to print out the pertinent dissassembly manuals before you start taking it apart...

18. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Seriously?

$75? Damn, I want a couple!

Toss in some ram (they can handle up to a gig), maybe a bigger hard drive...yeah, you got a damn good deal. I've seen G3 iMacs sell for more than that, and they are essentially the same deal with an older processor.

19. macrumors 603

Markleshark

I'd have to agree. I didnt think it was bad to do at all, I expected it to be a lot harder to be honest. It's worth either having another computer to have a look at the guides as you go along, or print one out. Either way, don't be scared... But do be careful.

20. thread starter macrumors 6502

dopey220

9/12/06: 6:00 AM

So, here I am in the WCC parking lot, waiting for 10:00 AM to arrive so I can get one of 50 eMacs for $75. I'm passing my time by reading a magazine, listening to morning radio, smoking cigarettes, and drinking Tim Horton's coffee. My breath must smell great. :rolleyes:

People are starting to arrive. Not sure when I'll get out of the car to wait outside the door, but it'll probably be within the next hour. Wish me luck.

21. macrumors Core

Why can't bloody UK colleges / Unis sell old stuff!!

Just before I left the college I attended. They were just about to replace 20 G4 500MHz machines with G5s.
    The outgoing G4s were to be "Thrown into a 20' lockable container and then smashed beyond repair".

The Uni my dad worked at recently threw out:
    Nikon and Canon DSLRs
    B&W G3s, G4s
    Medium format and large format cameras
    Several hunderd Art books

22. macrumors newbie

Mars

Good luck ;) great deal you make there...if you get one that is :cool:

23. macrumors 65816

I approached my IT department a few months back, as I needed a PC for some datalogging/controls for a project I was working on. They tossed me an 800 mhz p3, 20 gig hard drive, legit new copy of XP pro and office 2003 and a 15" CRT - for... $1.00.

Never hurts to go and ask...

24. macrumors Core

I asked at my old college and was told "no way"

My dad was a senior lecturer and he couldn't even get anything.

I think UK colleges and Unis can't sell stuff as the earnings for it will be taken off the budget for the next year. Therefore they'd be, even more, underfunded in future years.

25. macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

Some colleges in the US (at least WA state and AZ) do that too. Tax breaks or something or other, as well as a reduction in budget.

It's weak.