stupid iLife question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rtype, Jan 8, 2004.

1. rtype macrumors newbie

I'm confused about how much iLife you get with a new Mac. :)

If I order a new Mac today, does it ship with the newest iLife or the old one?

If I order a refurb, will it ship with the same?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

If you get a new or refurb Mac it should come with iLife. If it doesn't then you can pay $20 for in via Apple's Up To Date program. I'd say you should call them and ask if you specific purchase will come with iLife '04 or if you will have to do the Up To Date program. Just call to make sure it comes with iLife '04.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Yeah. It seems pretty outrageous that Apple might ship old stock computers and then charge extra for the up-to-date iLife.

4. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Yeah, it might seem outrageous, but given the sh** they were pulling with shipping Jaguar even in December (and making those people pay $20 to get up-to-date), I wouldn't put it past them. :rolleyes:

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Think about it though. You have (let's say) 10,000 computers already boxed up and ready to go with iLife '03. Are you going to unpack all of those and install iLife '04? However I do think they should just automatically ship the iLife '04 package *with* your new Mac. $20 for shipping and handling is pretty steep... if you're an EDU customer it's only $29 for iLife '04...

6. rtype thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the exact same question I've wondered about the OS. All I can figure with the OS is that the guys putting together the machines and installing software must have a little bit of lead time on new OS releases... if so, then they must have the same lead time for iLife?

7. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

No, I totally understand why they might have iLife '03 loaded. THat's fine. They might have built the thing in september, and maybe it's been sitting on the shelf since then. But they should upgrade anyone for free, not $19.95 (even if it's for shipping and handling) after that date. (same thing for new system software).

Otherwise, smart customers should insist on a computer built/loaded after 1/6/04 (open the box please), and stupid customers get pissed off after they get home.

8. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

I'm not expecting the software to come pre-loaded. All they have to do is open the box, slip in a CD in its sleeve (or 4 in a pouch for Panther) and wrap it back up. Then again, Apple is all about the packaging of the product being nearly as nice as the product itself (no sarcasm--I think it's a nice touch), so they might be reluctant to do that.

And if Apple has 10,000 units boxed up, sitting around, someone should be fired. I'm hardly a businessman, but that sounds like waaaay too much spare inventory. You never want that many units manufactured but not moving out the door. (I know the number was illustrative, but the idea holds for any largish amount).

9. rbro macrumors member

I bought my Powerbook at Macworld yesterday and asked an Apple rep this very question. He said as long as you purchase a machine after the iLife '04 announcement, you qualify for a free '04 upgrade. I bought my PB from Macmall. He said to just bring my receipt into an Apple store on 1/16 to pick it up for free. Now he could be misinformed, but he took the time to go ask someone else before giving me this info, so there you have it.

10. rtype thread starter macrumors newbie

I just called the Apple Store and according to the sales person there, I can only get iLife if I pay the $20 "up to date" program fee. She didn't have a date for when iLife 04 would be included/preinstalled with the new machines so that could even be sometime after the 16th.

11. GetGo macrumors regular

I just bought my ibook on Sat. and asked the same question. They told me they would deduct $19.95 from the ibook price and them they gave me a form to order the update and it will cost me $19.99. So I am getting it for free.