Stupid Laws...

Discussion in 'Community' started by evoluzione, Aug 20, 2003.

1. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    ok, this thread got me thinking...

anyone know of any ridiculous laws???

a have a couple that i can remember from a while back. apparently in the UK you need planning permission to do certain things with your property, and if you don't get the neccessary permissions you are in fact breaking the law. You can erect a flag pole without it, but to fly a flag you must get permission. and you can build yourself a swimming pool no probs, but to fill it with water? yep, you gotta have planning permission.

i do like the one where you cannot be drunk on licensed premises though. and just how many people break this law every day??? :)

2. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

As I said in the other thread, it's illegal in the state of Florida to take a shower in the nude...and it's illegal to have sex with a porcupine (ouch)...

3. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

There go my plans tonight ;)

-Doc

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

that shows some laws for NY, and while some of them are stupid, several of them make sense.

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

As stated Massachusetts has some crazy and dumb laws! Many are outdated and they just don't bother to repeal them! "It is illegal to go to bed without first having a full bath."

7. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Here is the correct link to that site that lists stupid laws by states. (The one that you provided went straight to NY.)

I'd agree that some of the laws that they call stupid do in fact make sense. Here are a couple from AZ that I think are quite reasonable:

However, there are a few that are nice gems:

Arizona
    Oregon
    and many more...
    :D

8. alphaone macrumors 6502

Wow, I was reading the silly laws for my state (CA) and when I saw this one I cracked up:

LOL!:rolleyes:

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

In Bend, OR it's illegal to take a horse in a bar.

10. Macpoops macrumors 6502

my favorite dumb law is the fact that you can't pump your own gas (self-serve) in New Jersey. But the Pakistani Guy with the turban can do it for you(exactly what special skill does he have that enables him the ability to pump gas and denies me of it)

11. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

12. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Man if there isnt a joke I couldnt make about this one ;) :D :D

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

As I am a Scotsman living in England I thought I'd post this to make fun of my "hosts" http://www.dumblaws.com/countries/countries.php?Country=England

My favourite is this: "York

* Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.
    "

I already knew about this and was searching for it to check!

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Calif
    They may be on to something... but who do you charge?

The car?

:rolleyes:

I was outraged by the next one:
    I lovvee butterflies... :D

Virginia:
    How eevvvill of them!

Ha HA! Screwing yourself eh? :eek:

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, in North Carolina you can't plow your field with an elephant.

And in South Carolina, you can't buy anything non-essential (no, DVDs don't count, I tried) before noon on Sundays.

The latter is actually really sad because of how strictly it's enforced. I was in Wal-Mart and they had everything ROPED off except the food area. I did see a Lord of the Rings DVD in the impulse-shopper-next-to-the-register area, and I picked it up since I had wanted it for a while anyway. The guy told me to come back after 12 because his register wouldn't even be able to process the sale of a "non-essential" item.

16. jzieske macrumors regular

That is one of the stupidist things I have ever heard. Why even bother having a law like that? Who is hurt by shopping at 10am on Sunday. Gotta love the South!

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Exactly and I was raised a Seventh day adventist so who is this protecting?

18. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Oregon
    No one may pump their own gas.

-Yet you end up paying another $0.10 per gallon to let the illegal Mexican or the deadbead old white guy pump it for you -

Oregon (Cont'd)
    Dishes must drip dry.
    Ice cream may not be eaten on Sundays.
    One may not bathe without wearing "suitable clothing," i.e., that which covers one's body from neck to knee.

I've broken all three, although I wonder is Soy Ice Cream really Counts (No I'm not a Vegetarian)

Washington
    All lollipops are banned.
    All motor vehicles must be preceded by a man carrying a red flag (daytime) or a red lantern (nighttime) fifty feet in front of said vehicle.
    It is illegal to pretend that one's parents are rich.
    You cannot buy meat of any kind on Sunday.
    No person may walk about in public if he or she has the common cold.

I've broken all those.... but the lollipop and Meat one is stupid.

Lynden, WA

* Dancing and drinking may not occur at the same establishment.

Because the entire city is populated by uber Chrsitians.... infact until reciently, It was illegal to not go to church on Sunday or sell anything within the city walls. (So Gas stations and a Safeway (A Big West Coast/Western Canada Grocery Chain) Opened out side of the wall, but still inside the city limits.

Auburn, WA

* Men who deflower virgins, regardless of age or marital status, may face up to five years in jail.

So make sure you goto Sea-Tac or Renton to lose your virginity.

TEG

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

"There is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus."

how does that one make sense??

I like the one for MA that you can't cross the Boston Common without a shotgun... I've also heard that you need a lantern, but I didn't see that on the list.

20. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

This is just a load of FUD. This is the argument that is provided every time they try to change that law, but it is easily shown from practice (what happened when other states changed their laws) that it effectively has no effect on cost of gasoline.

That said, every time I go home, I do find it annoying that I can't get out and pump my own gas. I have to sit there and wait, sometimes for several minutes, until the attendant gets around to me.

I like to be able to pump my own gas, but there are a lot of people in Oregon that don't. And, if the law changed, there would be no more mini-serve stations. Or, if there were, they would charge up to $.50 more per gallon (again, based on what happened in other states).

21. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Actually I'm going by the fact that the gas tax in Oregon is $0.10 more than Washington, where gas is $0.10 less than Oregon (Even with a $0.05 tax increas this summer). I'll still drive to Vancouver, WA and fill up for 10-40 cents cheaper than In Hillsboro, OR. Heck, at home on Whidbey Island (Where gas is about $0.30 more than the mainland due to the fuel trucks not being allowed to use the state ferry system, they have to drive 60mi out of their way), the gas is cheaper than Oregon by about $0.20.

TEG

22. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

In Oregon it is illegal to buy or sell, but not illegal to smoke it in your own home (And grow it I'd assume)

TEG

23. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Man, if a foreigner read half the laws we have here, I'm sure they'd think we were all insane!

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Why, didn't you hear? Jesus just can't STAND it with many you by a CD on a Sunday morning...And wait, what are you doing out of church ANYWAY? Git! I said GIT!

25. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Hawaii: "Coins are not allowed to be placed in one's ears. "
    That's just not right. I wonder how magicians make ends meat :confused: ?