Stupid Mac Q...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by LethalWolfe, Jun 4, 2002.

1. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

How do I uninstall something? Do I just drag the proggie and/or the proggie's folder into the trash? Or is there an "uninstall" proccess that needs to be followed like in Windows?

Lethal

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

lol i always just throw the app folder in the trash lol, seems easiest to me

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Most apps can be removed simply by trashing their folder. IF there are extensions and such, you can find them and toss them as well. Some apps come with an remove/uninstall feature to their installer, which can be used to remove all of it (NAV has this as well as NUM). Typically, just tossing the app folder is all you need to do though. Even under OS X, but you can dig deeper and remove other (hidden) parts to the app.

4. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

This is one of the times I love being a Mac user.

No shared "dll" files to worry about, no registry entries to modify. :D

5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Oh HELL YEAH!!! Nothing worse then installing a bunch of apps onto a peesleaze only to have the registry too damned small and the thing crash and burn, hard.

Got to love how flexible the Mac OS is, where removing applications doesn't bring the entire system to it's knees (and not in the good way). :D

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

LOL!!!

Drag and drop install/uninstall is a tech's dream come true…:)

Well, you might have other dreams too, but the technology's not here yet for that. ;)

7. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

LMAO!!! True, VR isn't where I want it to be... yet. I'd say it could be in a few years. I did hear about some kind of VR suit, where you put it on and get tactile feedback from other people wearing the same deal over the internet. Computer sex taken to an entirely new *ahem* level... :D

My current dream has me building up a dual GHz G4 tower on my own next year. I might be able to get all the parts that I need, and put it all into the case I want (to allow even more hard drives :D). Only time will tell if I do that, or just opt to purchase a completed system from Apple... The creating idea brings out the artist in me, and gives me some challenges too.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Nice!!!

On one hand I wish Apple hadn't killed the clones so that us "tinkering" types could build our own Mac systems...but on the other hand I know why Apple had to do it.

What case you thinking of? Another CoolerMaster?

9. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Most likely... I will probably use the heat sink that Apple provides, and put it into their case. It isn't as easy to open and access, but at least with the CoolerMaster cases, you don't slice fingers off when you touch the insides. Most things on that case use thumb screws, except items that you want to have really secured, such as your hard drives, optical drives and motherboard. Plenty of room inside for the motherboard as well as about 5 hard drives in the hidden bays (3-1/2") and enough 5-1/4" bays to make anyone happy. Of course, I won't use the floppy drive bays, so I could toss even more drives in, or grab a IDE zip drive. Although, I don't use zip disks anymore, everything is either cd or dvd for me. :D

I will have to see what CoolerMaster has to offer for a case when it comes time. It will probably cost close to the amount of buying one already created, but I would be able to put more drives into it. I am seriously on the fence about doing this. I very well could pick up a new tower, and do a transplant of the insides into another case. I am a little concerned about the back plate, but there are a few machine shops around where I could probably get them to cut me a new one out of aluminum. I could probably even get away with making a rubbing of the Apple one, and give them good measurements to work with. If it works out well, I might even market it up. Who knows, it could take off. Home brewed Mac systems, purchase a system from Apple then the case from me... transplant everything and put as many drives as you want inside the case (within reason of course). :D