Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pretentious

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 4, 2002
"Reality"
Ok I have a prob... the other day I had a hard crash, it completely froze up, don't really remember what I was doing, and I haven't had one of these in a month or two (Using Mac OS 8.6). I three finger saluted it and restarted, I allowed the sys check startup to progress and it came across a problem that it could not fix.
Then I tried Disk First Aid and came up to the same result, where problems were found but it couldn't fix. So then I pulled out my OS 8.6 disk and started up on it, and did DFA on my hard drive, and once again same conclusion.
Now I've been wanting to clean up my HD for awhile but haven't taken the time to do it, I wanted to clear old apps I don't use anymore, and some utilities that I don't use, and get rid of what I don't need. I felt that right now would be a good time to do a complete overhaul of my HD.
So I backed up all of my vitals, and then I reformatted my hard drive.
I began to install a brand new Mac OS 8.6 on to the clean hard drive, it went for a few minutes but then it came back with an error w/ something like "installation tomb corrupted". I tried to install a few more times, came back with the same thing. I tried to just copy the installation over to the hard drive to try to install from the HD itself, but it won't copy over that package. I've also tried cleaning the disk, but to no avail and same error.
Luckily I have a back-up on a CD-R, an 8.5 disk my father burnt for me. There is a problem with that, the computer won't startup from that since it was burned with just a folder the as the beginning directory, and see inside that is the system and everything else, so the computer doesn't understand that. I've also tried access this CD by using my disk utilities floppy to start-up, but it seams that it doesn't include the drivers for the CD drive on it, so it doesn't show up on the desktop.

If anyone can help an old computer user like me, I need to find a way to startup my Mac, by not using my CD-ROM tray, and still be able to access it. Oh and to make it even more difficult, if it requires any kind of software downloads, I have to do this through locked-down public access PCs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.