stupid modem calling my telephone every night

Discussion in 'Community' started by andiwm2003, Feb 17, 2005.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

hi guys,

i don't know what it is, but i need help.
    for the past year or so i'm getting telephone calls that when i or my answering machine pick up just beep 10 times and then hang up. 15 min later there is the next call. this happens randomly during nights, during the day, sometimes every night for a week then 4 weeks nothing.
    i think some stupid fax or modem is set to my number. unfortunately the number is blocked. i have comcast phone via cable. how do i set my mac to recive the modem call (the fax stuff i know, just wasn't lucky enough to catch a call) so that i get the number of the idiots and can return the favors for the next year?
    it really sucks, cause my family is in europe and when a call comes in the middle of the night i rush to the phone, thinking its an emergency, death of a loved one(actually happend).

andi

2. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Speaking as someone who is responsible for thousands of faxes a day you can call the phone company and get them to track it even if it is blocked. The phone company can then bring other pressures on them.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

First of all, it is a fax machine. Otherwise, you'd get the annoying hiss right away. I would talk to Comcast about looking up the number to block it. Alternativly, you could go out and buy a used fax machine, set it to autoanswer from the answering machine (taps the line after the ringing stops, and if there is a beep, opens the connection and tells the other end there is a fax machine there and it is ready to recieve.) Most likely it is FXSPAM (Fax Spam). FXSPAM is a major problem right now, and probabily someone filled out a form asking for a fax number, and they used a random int string and by chance got your number.

Seriously, contact Comcast, they should be able to help you stop FXSPAM.

TEG

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Fax Spam is the worst. I hate it. Sucks up paper, ink, and time. Meh.

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It is annoying to get unwanted calls. Many that I get, have figured that it comes from a computer. When it realizes that I'm on a do not call list, then it disconnects.

6. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, i am on MA's do not call list. a reason motre to catch the fax and report them. hopefully they get a fine.

andi

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Sending unsolicited faxes is illegal even without a do not call. There are rules about mandatory opting out.

8. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

i read an article about two months back about some guy that saved all his fxspam papers, took them to a comms lawyer, and sued for 15,000 or so. it was called something like "How spam bought me my new PowerMac G5" pretty funny little diddy.

9. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

10. Wyvernspirit macrumors 6502a

Wyvernspirit

I hear you, I hear you.

I work on a switchboard (telephone op for a building) answering 300+ phone lines for 40+ companies. I get Telemarketers and erraant fax calls on each and every line. As we have a high volume of turn over the numbers change form time to time. What last year was a fax line is now someones office. I get between 10 to 100 faxes on my phone lines each day, many times to the same number (many faxes will continue to redial the same number till it reaches the "intended" fax).

Telemarketers are the worst. I can get so many of those as to not be able to put the hone "down" for a half hour or so. We own three+ banks of number (x000-x099 etc.) and they call down the list (x000, x001, x002, etc). I sometimes talk to the same person on different lines 20 or 30 times in fifteen minutes, not fun.

11. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

"would you like to play a game?" :D

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Catching a junk faxer is a near impossibility. They're violating federal (and usually state) law -- they know it, but don't care. It's what they do. Even in the unlikely event you do get them into a courtroom, they will almost never pay a judgment. Some of these creeps have millions in fines and judgments chasing them around. They're criminals.

The good news is if your phone line doesn't have a fax machine attached to it, your number will eventually be dropped from the junk fax dialers. Even if you do have a fax machine, it's a good idea to disconnect it whenever you can. This seems to reduce the number of junk fax calls.

14. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i got them!!

so, under panther my modem at my PB worked shaky at best and since i'm not permanently connected to the phone line i never managed to catch that stupid fax.

but tiger changed it all! you gotta love it. it runs more stable than 10.3.8 anyway.

so i caught that stupid fax and it is of course spam.

it says Wall Street profit alert and advertises junk stocks in china because Warren buffet also invests in china.

at the bottom of the page they give a phone number to be removed from the fax list.

so what do i now?

is it wise to call the number and get removed or does that just confirm that my number is active and i get more spam?

collect faxes and sue them? (but then they can say i should have called them to get removed from the list)

post their phone number on every spam site possible?(its a 1.866. number so the spam sites probably ignore them)

how can i find out their adress or their fax number?

how can i cause maximum trouble for that bastards?

any ideas are welcome.

long live tiger!

andi

15. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I would just change my phone number

16. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Call the phone company.
    Yes likely calling them confirms the number is live and keeps you on the list.
    I think the FTC handles this. You might want to give them a call.
    Its also likely an SEC violation as well.