Stupid Newbie Question: iPhoto & Req'd Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Frank (Atlanta), Nov 2, 2004.

1. Frank (Atlanta) macrumors regular

Disclaimer: I'm completely new to Macs - just got my iMac last week. Not an excuse, but hopefully you won't think the following's completely bone-headed.

I've got an iMac G5 and have 10.3.5 loaded. I loaded a picture CD that came back with traditional print pictures - an Adobe Photoshop Album SE. After loading the CD, I learned all the pictures had been copied onto my hard drive. There were 2-3 roles of pictures on this CD and, since I didn't want them, I deleted them by dragging the files from Finder to Trash. I know - should have been more careful...

Anyway, I'm now concerned I may have deleted required files. I have the following files left in my "Pictures" folder - are these the baseline files required, or did I delete some necessary files (for what it's worth, iPhoto still seems to work...)? The files that remain under the "Pictures" sidebar are as follows (under the Pictures/iPhoto Library subdirectory):

AlbumData.xml
    Albums Folder (w/Pending Rotation & Photo Library docs)
    Dir.data
    iPhoto.db
    Library.iPhoto
    Thumb32.data
    Thumb64.data
    ThumbJPG.data

I ask because I want to make sure I haven't deleted any required application files. In otherwords,

1. Did I delete the wrong files by trying to clear-out my "iPhotos" subdirectory (except for the above files)?

2. I thought (perhaps incorrectly) that OS X keeps system/application files separate from data files (i.e.: the "Pictures" folder is for data and the iPhoto apps files are kept elsewhere) - correct/incorrect?

Embarassed,
    Frank

2. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Fix?

I did some digging and would it be correct to "rebuild" the iPhoto Library?
    Specifically, I assume I'd:

1. Delete the old iPhoto Library and then

2. Rebuild the iPhoto Library (cmd/option/shift keys upon iPhoto startup) and then

3. Verify/repair permissions?

Thanks,
    Frank

3. St Soichiro macrumors regular

No you did not delete any "Application" files. Those are kept separate. You could have deleted your entire "Pictures" folder and still have iPhoto work - but with no pictures, obviously :)

I see the same files in my Pictures folder along with subfolders holding the actual images (the Albums subfolder will containing only links to the actual photos).

I dont think that you have to rebuild anything.

Finally, welcome to the Apple/Mac world. I started using Macs 1 year ago after 16 years of Windows use (abuse?) and could not be happier!

4. Gee macrumors 65816

Further to that, if you did delete the entire with all of its contents, iPhoto would simply recreate all of the files that are required next time you open it (like the xml database and such).

For future reference though, you can easily delete photos from within iPhoto by selecting the photos, then either hitting delete, selecting delete from the file menu, or dragging the photo to the little trash icon below your album list on the left hand side of the screen.

5. Frank (Atlanta) thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

Thank you all for your help!

I feel a lot better - iPhoto does seem to be working; however, I rebuilt my iPhoto library file & ran the permissions utility to be safe. In short, doesn't look like I deleted anything critical (i.e.: same files re-appeared after rebuild).

Nonetheless, I'll be using Gee's advice going forward and will manage my files via the apps...no sense in getting too cute at this point.

As an aside, the iMac is absolutely great! I've been reading lots of posts about noisy fans, etc.; however, my machine has been absolutely perfect and an incredible joy to use. Of course, my machine's only 1 week old, but it has been terrific.

At work it feels a bit strange now - I've had to constantly to re-boot or deinstall/reinstall software and it casts a bright, clear light on how simple/trouble-free the iMac is!

Thanks again!
    Frank