stupid newbie question (selecting and copying files)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by newmaccanada, Aug 30, 2005.

1. newmaccanada macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    I've had my new 14" ibook since Fri. Played tons and worked too. Installed 1G ram chip myself.

I am getting used to Tiger and MacOS. But as a long time windows user (since 1992), there are some simple things that I haven't figured out -- even though I've searched.

The most pressing thing I need to know is how to select multiple files (not necessarily syncronous) and then copy these files to a different location (like moving from USB key to hardrive Documents). I am so used to the control click and then right click method on Windows XP.

2. munkle macrumors 68030

Aug 7, 2004
    On a jet plane
    To select multiple items hold down the command button and click on each file you want selected.

To copy them to an external harddive just drag the files over (a plus sign will appear, signifying that files are being copied). To copy the files to another location on your HD, drag holding the option button. This will duplicate the files to the new location, whilst keeping the originals intact.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Selecting multiple files: Apple Key + Click
    Copying: Hold down Alt while dragging, you'll see a '+' symbol over the icon.
  4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Just to help...

The control key in windows works quite similiar to the command key on an Apple keyboard (the key with the apple on it, to the right and left of the space bar).

You will be using that key for the majority of your shortcut commands, and they are similiar if not identical to windows.

As far as moving files...non-sequential selecting and drag and drop is the way to go. I recommend making good use of the sidebar (external drives show up there automatically unless you turn that feature off).
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I agree that command-click and drag is the way to go, but if you want to do it the same way you did on Windows, that works too. Command-click to select multiple items, then control-click on one of the items (control-click simulates a right click if you're using a one-button mouse), and select Copy <x> Items. Then just control-click where you want to copy them to, and select Paste <x> Items. <x> will be the number of items you have selected. Also, if you have a two-button mouse that you're using, you can right click instead of control-click. I was assuming you're using the trackpad.
  6. newmaccanada thread starter macrumors member

Jul 19, 2005
    Thanks everyone --

This is very helpful info esp re. how command (apple key) often functions like ctrl key in windows.