Stupid Office 2004 Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JAT, Nov 19, 2006.

1. JAT macrumors 603

How on earth do you close Help in Office 2004? It's like an attached pane, stuck to the menu bar, and I can find no way to kill it except quitting the entire app!

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If I open help in Office 2004 it opens in a separate window so I've never seen it look like an attached pane. Do you just call up the help window from the Help menu item?

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Click the Cancel button.

5. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

Check the attachment. There is no cancel button that I can find. It is in all 3 apps. I've tried every Win and Mac "cancel" method I can think of. And I can't find any sort of pref that attaches windows to the menu bar. I can resize the thing, but not move or get rid of it. So it isn't just the top bar is hidden or something. It isn't listed in the Window menu.

I swear I'm not an idiot. I've only been using Macs since 1985 and Office since 1992 or so. This is the strangest thing I've seen yet.

Attached Files:

6. JPT macrumors regular

7. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

Oh, and this is how it comes up no matter what. With the toolbar button, menu item, or key combos.

8. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

Not specifically for this, but I have restarted recently. No effect.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Have you changed your computer's resolution while it was open?

10. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

Not while Help is open. Excel or Word may have been at one point. I virtually never use help, I only discovered this because the Insert key is help and occasionally I hit it going for delete.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, I think the resolution thing was a smart idea because that window should have a close button in a bar above the toolbar... it does on my Mac. Can you move that window around perhaps by dragging on the lower bar to the left of the lower right corner? And if you drag it down, do you get a close button on it?

12. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The help window's position is stored in (your home)/Library/Preferences/Microsoft/com.microsoft.Office.prefs.plist

It also contains some minor stuff like tooltip display, but overall it's harmless to move out of the way. Try moving that (to desktop, trash, whatever) and re-launch the Office apps.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's a good idea! In case (it wasn't obvious), the file should be trashed while NO office apps are running. And then you can re-launch.

14. JAT thread starter macrumors 603

Thank you! I knew somebody would figure out which pref it was. That seems to have worked.

Just to make it more clear....this was not a resolution thing. The help window would come out of the menubar the same way (essentially) Apple's "Agree/Disagree" (to the license) window comes out in Installer. It slides down and is attached to the top of the Installer window.