Stupid PC Display.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Hummer, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2006
    Queens, New York NY-5
    I'm not sure if I'm right, but do all PC displays have a little yellow tint to them that mac displays don't have?

I'm trying to use this LCD display I have as an extended desktop for my ibook and I'm trying to make it look as close to my ibook's display as possible. I'm having trouble getting it to look remotely the least like my ibook display but't the only major thing is this yellow tint I get. Anyone know if I'm right or not? Because I saw a bigger display on sale (21") and I want to buy it, but not if I will get the same yellow tint.

BTW the display I'm trying to use as an extended desktop is the hp pavilion f 1503.

Oh yea another question.
    If I buy the bigger monitor with a bigger native resolution will I be able to actually use that bigger resolution with my ibook? Or will I have to use the ibooks native resolution of 1024x768?
  2. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004
    I've noticed the colour issue with my external LCD aswell. I've managed to get the colours pretty close, to the point where the only major problem is that my external LCD is somewhat brighter than my Powerbook's LCD, which is hard to correct.

About the bigger screen. My external screen runs at 1280x1024 whilst my powerbook is at 1280x854. Not a big difference. I'm guessing that it should be possible. I'd only be concerned with performance issues because you don't have much video memory on board.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    iBooks do not natively support extended desktop mode, only mirroring. So without the Screen Spanning Doctor hack you can only use 1024x768 on any monitor and only mirror what's being shown on the iBook's display.

With SSD in place you should have no trouble running resolutions up to 1280x1024. The iBook can run much higher resolutions (I've seen a 1920x1200 display hooked up) but beware as it can get pretty choppy with only 16MB of the 32MB graphics card dedicated to the screen.

PowerBooks are not subject to these problems and can run extended desktop and clamshell mode where the main display is off and all of the VRAM is dedicated to the external screen. SSD provides iBook users with this option however it is not recommended as an iBook will overheat very quickly with the lid closed. They are designed to dissipate heat via the keyboard whereas PowerBooks vent heat from the sides of the laptop.
  4. mfacey macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2004

Yes you can (on the powerbook at least). However the colors still display differently on each monitor. I'm using that kind of setup right now.
  5. Mr. Mister macrumors 6502

Feb 15, 2006
    Whoa, that's totally new to me. I might try running a CRT and LCD at the same time then.
  6. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003