Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Superman041

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 16, 2011
The 4G Promises from Vodafone is so much better than o2 right ? So O2 say they will give you 10% of and pay any vat? When vodafone will give their customers 70% off.

I'm wondering whether to join o2 on a 2 year 3G contract or wait.

I do not get how the networks can offer you a 4G contract if the iPhone 5 cannot run on the frequencies the networks have.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
I dont get all this 4G business, i have a 3G phone, it can stream HD video everywhere i go from Netflix and a various other streaming sites, What, other than running a bittorent server on my Phone, do i need any fast connection speed for than close to 10mb broadband (in fact my last speed test got 7.56mbps downstream, 5.42mbps upstream), With the exception of about 200 metres worth of train track where No one i know can get a signal i can stream video, browse the net with all the speed im used to at home.

Speeds are entering into the space where processor clock speeds did when they passed the Ghz step, Suddenly the difference between a 1Ghz cpu and a 1.2Ghz CPU doesnt seem as big as the step between a 33Mhz and a 66Mhz, in the same vein the step from 2G to 3G was massive in real terms, and 3G has improved upon itself leaps and bounds to the point that 4G just doesn't seem worth bothering with because, much like the difference between a 3.2Ghz PC and a 3.5Ghz cpu. I'm not going to pay the fortune of a difference in cash for a difference in speed im not going to see any benefit from in real terms.

just my opinion.

Now if they turn around and say a 4G phone will last an extra 2 hours on the same battery as a 3G phone, or will work in places with a lower signal strength then i might look at it, but so far its looking like it will suck more power, and have worse reception penetration when indoors..

As far as selling you a phone that wont work on the network, well, Thats just standard apple marketing lies leaking into resellers mouths again, they (apple) got slapped in the UK and Europe for marketing the iPhone 4 as 4G (meaning 4th gen they said when taken to court about, not 4G network, but they handily neglected to mention anything about that on the web site, i still remember people with iPhone 4's telling people they were on 4G network already), no doubt 02 and vodaphone think its ok to lie, apple does it about there products all the time

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
If the speed were faster, perhaps your video streaming could buffer 60-90 seconds ahead, enough that you wouldn't know there were 200 meters of track with no signal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.