Stupid Question....but how out an Idiot..

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by macdaddy121, Feb 1, 2005.

1. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2003
    I just got my mac mini. I have always thought I was fairly computer savy (not a genius) but I truly don't see the point in the bluetooth option that I added on to my machine. Yes, I know you can use bluetooth mouse but I have heard iffy reports from others on macrumors about lagging and I decided i like the logitech mx1000 better. On that note, what other features can internal bluetooth in my mini really provide me. Thanks for the help and I'm glad you all are smarter than I am. :)
  2. dejo Moderator

Staff Member

Sep 2, 2004
    The Centennial State
    Bluetooth isn't just for mice (or keyboards). There's a ton of possibilities. For example, if you have a BT cell phone, you can auto-sync your contacts.
  3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

Dec 30, 2004
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Yes, while I did get a BT keyboard and mouse, I was more excited about the other possibilities. I have a BT phone and currently use iSync to sync contacts wirelessly, the Addressbook will pop up onscreen with caller ID when someone calls and Salling Clicker allows me to control my computer (a great companion to Airport Express). I believe you can also get printers with bluetooth.

The future is even brighter. I hope to be able to use my Mac as a speakerphone via my BT phone soon (hopefully with 10.4). And, if it is not already supported, I know people are looking forward to using a BT headset to listen to music from their Mac or wirelessly have iChat conversations.
  4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

Aug 13, 2004
    Boise, ID
    Think of it as wireless USB. As more technologies adopt it, it may become equally as useful
  5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    In addition to syncing with a cellphone, and using the cellphone as a modem via BT, one thing I find Bluetooth really useful for is file transfer. For small files it's very convenient, just click on the Bluetooth icon in the menu bar and choose send file. A box will pop up on the computer (or phone, or PDA, or whatever) you choose to send it to asking if you want to accept, you click yes and the file transfers. I use it this way all the time to transfer files between my Powerbook and my Powermac or Windows desktop. To be honest, I wouldn't consider buying a new Mac without Bluetooth.
  6. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i find it extremely helpful to use with my cell, contacts, pictures, modem its great!!!
  7. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I recently had a temporary replacement cellphone without Bluetooth. Argh! What a nightmare trying to get numbers/files across the divide!

A colleague has just bought a PC without Bluetooth and is having huge hassles trying to figure out how to get his camera phone pictures over to his PC easily.

I agree completely with what was said above - never buy a cellphone or a Mac without Bluetooth. It will make your life so much easier.
  8. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003

I do like the threads about girls...

Edit: this post shouldn't be here, it was for the "if I buy an iPod, am I fool?" or however that thread is... anyway, BT has helped me a lot with my mobile phone, KB and Mouse...