Stupid Question: Folding on game consoles?

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by zelmo, May 27, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have an Xbox and a PS2, both on my home network, neither is modded in any way. Is there a way to use either of these puppies to Fold while I am not gaming? With new consoles around the corner (well, in the next year or so), I am less concerned about running the current ones into the ground. It'd be cool if they could at least be put to some use.

2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I guess I should have searched first, but it didn't occur to me that anyone else would have proposed something this otw. :eek:

Maybe when I actually get my backwards compatible Xbox 360 and PS3, I'll be more willing to throw caution to the wind and give this a go. For now, I'll leave it for braver folk than I.

4. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

It doesn't even really look that great. You have to purchase an entire kit (hd, kb, mouse, DVD,...) just to run linux on there :(

5. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

A good point. By the time PS3 is out, it might even be cheaper (at least not much more expensive) to just buy a G5 mini ;) and set it to Fold 24/7. Just hate to think of that h/w sitting in my closet doing nothing...

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Someone needs to convince a game developer to port the code over as a game disk.

Rather than spend $200 on the HD linux kit you could spend ~$40 on the disk and a memory card, and just pop it in and fold.

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

That is a great idea.

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

IF you modded, that you can run linux on it, then it's very easy to put folding on it. I will try to convince a friend of mine who mods Xbox's and try it on his, if he wants to. He is a bit carefull with folding, I explained it to him a couple of times, but he doesn't get it. :(