Stupid question - how do I delete programs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by scarlets knees, Mar 29, 2005.

1. scarlets knees macrumors member

I know I'm probably being really really stupid but I've only just switched so... if a program doesn't have an uninstaller option how do I delete it? On windows you had the add/remove program utility but I can't find an equivalent of it on OSX, I have been trying out bits of free software and now want to get rid of them and I can't see how.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Drag app in to Trash, that's it! :cool:

There will probably be a pref file or two somewhere as well, but it doesn't matter if they are left. Just trashing the app is enough :)

3. scarlets knees thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I thought that was probably the answer what with OSX being so simple but after windows I am perhpas too wary of all those niggly little files clogging up my hard drive....

4. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

You can also press command-delete.

(command key is the one with the Apple logo)

5. auxplage macrumors 6502

I like to do a search in Finder and find all the pref files and other files associated just because I hate little files that are unnecessary.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Scarlet, can you keep a secret? Cuz on the Mac there's ... ssh!... <whisper> no Registry </whisper>.

Please don't let this get out to all those Windows users, because they'll all be wanting a Mac, and then where would we be?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i do this as well, pesky files!!! but this is only because i am a nitpicker its not a big deal and the files dont take up much space at all so its really not consequential to do this

8. scarlets knees thread starter macrumors member

thanks for all this it's great that it's so simple. i need to get out of the windows mentality (though I'm stuck with it at work)

another question though, what is a pref file and should I clean them out periodically?

also some programs I've loaded up just know where to go, others ask me to choose, is it best to always pick the applications folder? ~Havng said that I loaded up stuffit from a magazine CD and it installed but I can't find it, where would it be/how do i find it?

I'll keep quiet about the registry, to misquote 'every day in every way my life gets better and better'