Stupid question. How do I remove software?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dont24, Mar 13, 2005.

1. dont24 macrumors regular

I just bought my first Mac. It's a mini.I'm trying to get my printer and scanner working. Printer works fine. Scanner is an Epson 640u. I plugged it in, and started Image Capture. No scanner. I downloaded the driver and scan software from Espon. Still can't see the scanner. I don't think this scanner works with 10.3.8. Anyway, how do I remove the software I just installed?

2. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

lol, for most things, you just drag it to the Trash. :D

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

After you drag it to the trash search for the program in finder and delete all the prefs files that show up that are related to the program if you want to get rid of everything.

4. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

so, under my application folder I can drag Epson Scan and Epson Scanner Monitor to the trash? This is my first time using a Mac, but so far the experience has been great :)

5. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

You can also do a search of the system to see if there are any preference files lying around but you can easily leave those as they don't really take up any resources or clutter the OS

Anyway continue with the experience :)

6. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

That was easy. Thanks. Guess I'll have to buy a new scanner.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you know what the difference is between the Epson 640 and the 640U? Cuz the former is on the compatibility list. :eek:

I think this scanner should be able to work. Have you tried swapping the USB port you are using for the printer and the scanner, to make sure it is not a port issue?

8. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure what the difference is betwenn the 640 and 640U. Image Capture states " no image capture devices connected". I've tried swapping ports and cables. No luck. I'll do more research on the 640U.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Do you have a powered USB hub around, and have you tried that? There have been some varying reports about devices that draw a lot of USB power having issues....

Also, this scanner (at least without the "U") is on the compatibility list. So it should work without installing Epson drivers. BUT, when you installed the drivers, did you try clicking on the "Use TWAIN whenever possible" checkbox in the scanner tab of the Image Capture preferences, and then trying it?

10. dont24 thread starter macrumors regular

It's working now :) I re-installed the software, choosing custom install and selected just the 640u. I also checked the "use twain whenever possible".
    Thanks for the help! Now that all my hardware is working, I can start the transition from Windows XP.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

w00t w00t! :D

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Make it so... :)