Stupid Question (I Know)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by WAMozart, Jun 1, 2005.

1. WAMozart macrumors newbie

Does Apple Charge taxes to Georgia if ordered online :confused: How Much?? stupid question i know just curious
    about to switch :)

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I believe Apple charges whatever applicable sales taxes that your individual state has. Here in Idaho our sales tax is 6%, so Apple charges 6% when I make an online purchase.

I'm pretty sure that's how it works anyway. If you do some digging at apple.com you can find the information you're looking for.

3. sk8erboy macrumors regular

i actually believe apple only charges tax is there is an apple retail store in your state.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

can you please summarise the thread in the title like "dose apple charge sales tax online" instead of "stupid question", it stops people like me who know nothing of how US sales tax works having to the read the thread.

5. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

They will charge you tax whether or not there is an Apple store in your state. Buy from Amazon if you want to avoid tax but lose BTO capability.

6. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Yeah if you want to avoid tax buy from amazon. They have great deals, considering they offer free shipping and no tax. that $300+ right there. That's where I'm buying from.

7. dredmorbius macrumors newbie

And always remember, there's no such thing as stupid questions..... ;) :p

Just having some fun. Good decision on your switch. :)

8. deebster macrumors 6502

9. WAMozart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys, i was going to use BTO because i really needed it BAD :D
    there is two Stores in my state but very far away.
    How Can i Change the thread title Hector (i am a newbie after all) :)
    I'll just use my Fathers TAX Exempt Cert. :D

10. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

If this is true then crap! I live in Indiana and there is ONE freakin' store here. Thanks to that one location I have to add 6% to my purchase price haha. Oh well at least I can buy on EDU and I get a 100 dollar rebate :)

11. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

They definitely charge tax online in Georgia. :mad:

12. savar macrumors 68000

savar

It's not true. Apple charges sales tax in probably every US State, because they have operations (stores and otherwise) in just about every state.

I can tell you for a fact that I paid tax in GA 4 years ago when I bought from store.apple.com. I definitely reccommend buying from another place...most will offer different combos that resemble various BTO options. Plus you pay less for RAM and they often throw in incentives.

13. simon-says macrumors regular

This isn't true. I live in Louisiana, we have no Apple Stores and I was charged tax. I have a feeling I will be whenever I order a new PowerBook as well. I asked about this once before. Check out this thread. I'm post #4.