Stupid question...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rubin421, Dec 25, 2004.

1. Rubin421 macrumors member

A friend of mine who's been using Macs forever told me that when you buy a new Macintosh, if Apple releases a new OS within the next few months, you'll often get the new OS for free.

I highly doubt that, but he's my friend, and why would he lie?

2. mpw Guest

They did this when I bought my iBook but I think they had announced a release date by the time I'd ordered. If you're thinking about Tiger updates for free I don't think this is going to happen for anyone who just got a new Mac for Christmas.

3. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Your friend is kinda-sorta right, but not really.

If you buy a new Mac after the release date for a new OS is announced, you get the OS for $25 (technically, Apple calls it a 'shipping & handling fee').

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yep..

Usually the grace period is right around two weeks before and any time after. The OS is something like $25 then.

5. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

6. drive428 macrumors member

drive428

If I were to buy an Apple, should I wait to but it after they announce the date for Tiger? I've got money thats burning a whole in my pocket.

7. Bear macrumors G3

Tiger availability will be announced somewhere between now and the end of June. Do you really want to wait until 6 months form now to buy a new system?

At best, maybe you should see what they announce at MacWorld before you order.