Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
man, when i use safari there is a bunch of stuff that annoys me.. first and formost, i can't play music videos at all at launch.com, i even tried it with ie 5.2 and wmp 9 and still no go... seriously, then on a lot of sites if their is a available streaming mpeg to view, quicktime can't play the file and it shows its broken, but then i go to pc and quicktime for pc plays the file just fine. makes no sense... i emailed apple about this... perhaps they will do somethin :cool:

mac_gal

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2004
Ya, Safari bugs me sometimes.

When a page is almost loaded, I'll press stop. I'll type something into a search box on the page and press "Search" ... but nothing happens. It seems that (at least on some pages) Safari wants the whole page to load before you can use functions on that page. I haven't noticed this with other browsers (like IE), but maybe that's just me.

C-Mezak

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2004
Edinburgh, Scotland
I've had some problems watching video of the Democratic Convention with quicktime through Safari. Behaved as if I was out of memory or cpu time even though Im on a fast pb and nothing else was open.

Seanb23

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
I just got the latest version of Firefox, courtesy of a strange new high speed connection in the southwest corner of my house...

Kidding aside, it quite obviously blows M$ explorer out of the water, and...oh yeah, this is about Safari. Um, it's ok, I guess... a neat, underfeatured, buggy beta toy for developers. But Firefox kicks butt on this mac...superfast, and fully operational. Oh yeah, Safari, um...oh, I forgot about Safari...

pssst...Mr. Jobs ? Howsabout spending that war chest on some modern laptop hardware instead of a browser ? I really, really want to continue to give you money, but, um...

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I don't like the way Safari autocompletes URLs. If I type http://www.yahoo.com in the browser line and press return, I want to go to http://www.yahoo.com, but that is not what will happen. Rather, it will pick the longest URL from recent history starting with http://www.yahoo.com and send me there. IE for Win shows you the history below where you're typing, instead of interfering with your typing, which is much better.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
My personal gripe is the fact that you can select links from other applications to open in a new Tab, but that you can't select that links from within Safari do the same. If I browse through a website and open several links I am left with numerous windows which sort of defeats the point of tab browsing..

And there are LOADS of sites that don't open in Safari properly, especially those with funky menus (usually Flash).

I completely agree about the auto complete thingy on the URL.. I have to remember to type what I am after and then hit the backspace button once to ensure that it deletes the rubbish I don't want in the address.

I also don't like the cached memory for pages I have visited. Sometimes I think that nothings changed only to find out that the damned thing is loading from cache...

There are probably a 1000 other things, but those are the ones that bugged me this last weekend.

StrongPat

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2004
Form Issues with Safari

I'm a web developer and have a problem. We have a form that people submit through our site to request information and the info is put directly into a SQL 2000 table and every few hours the table is processed and dropped into a flat file for a rather antiquated system to read. Every now and then we get one that breaks the system because it is putting carriage returns into the field. The field is actually a one line text field and before we put it into the database, we run it through replace functions to remove any CrLf, or Chr(13) chr(10). Nothing seems to work. We recently started tracking the browser type and they all lead back to Safari.

Has anyone else seen this and can you offer up any suggestions?

PixelGlitch

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Los Angeles
Safari text issues

Anyone else having text on certain website look like gibberish? My friend and I have both noticed on certain sites, including the apple store, certain areas of text will be displayed in an unreadable (nonenglish?) font. I'm not on my mac right now, so I can't take a screenshot, but one site that consistently frustrates me in Safari is www.recycler.com. It looks fine on the first few pages, but once you go in and search for something, the results and descriptions are unreadable. My friend even noticed that when he went to "help" on his system in OS 10.3.3, it displayed in Safari and most of the text was in this same unreadable gibberish.

Is it just us, or is Safari buggy as heck? All our preferences in Safari look normal. Not really sure what to make of it, especially the fact that parts of Apple's own site doesn't look right in their own browser.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jacobj said:
My personal gripe is the fact that you can select links from other applications to open in a new Tab, but that you can't select that links from within Safari do the same. If I browse through a website and open several links I am left with numerous windows which sort of defeats the point of tab browsing..
Command-click...

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
Counterfit said:
Command-click...
Or middle click (mouse).
Or drag and drop into the tab bar.

Oh yea, and safari has bugs. 1.3 should fix some at least.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
StrongPat said:
I'm a web developer and have a problem. We have a form that people submit through our site to request information and the info is put directly into a SQL 2000 table and every few hours the table is processed and dropped into a flat file for a rather antiquated system to read. Every now and then we get one that breaks the system because it is putting carriage returns into the field. The field is actually a one line text field and before we put it into the database, we run it through replace functions to remove any CrLf, or Chr(13) chr(10). Nothing seems to work. We recently started tracking the browser type and they all lead back to Safari.

Has anyone else seen this and can you offer up any suggestions?

you need to analyse the string that SQL is storing. If SQL is storing it then it must have legit SQL characters... try adapting this script and looking at one of your dodgy string... you should then get the CHR() value and you can do a replace on that..

SET TEXTSIZE 0
-- Create variables for the character string and for the current
-- position in the string.
DECLARE @position int, @string char(8)
-- Initialize the current position and the string variables.
SET @position = 1
SET @string = 'New Moon'
WHILE @position <= DATALENGTH(@string)
BEGIN
SELECT ASCII(SUBSTRING(@string, @position, 1)),
CHAR(ASCII(SUBSTRING(@string, @position, 1)))
SET @position = @position + 1
END
GO

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
Counterfit said:
Command-click...

That's not the point. The point is that the option should exist in the Preference panel in the way it does for links from other applications

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
gallagb said:
can anyone shed any light on this issue?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/81896/

thanks.

That is the Java console, it comes up when a website starts a Java applet and is mostly just used by programmers for debugging.

To turn off, go to /Applications/Utilities/Java folder and double click on "Java 1.4.2 Plugin Settings." In the little program that comes up, make sure "do not start console" is selected.

AssassinOfGates

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
A cardboard box.
They need to fix the flash problem with the Cisco CCNA online materials. The initial menu for selecting what chapter you want isn't even there, but works in all the Mozilla based browsers and IE. And I've been reporting this bug for how long???

mkaake

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2003
mi
animated gif's

my problem is that if i open a page of animated gifs (on other boards, checking out all of the emoticons), if there's more than half a dozen animated gifs, it throws my CPU to 100% and slows safari to a crawl...

very frustrating...

other than that, i love it.

operastarlet

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2004
USA
crashes

all the crashes get me...

it just seems to crash for no reason, all the time. very frustrating

Does anyone know how to import your bookmarks from Safari to another browser?

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
jacobj said:
That's not the point. The point is that the option should exist in the Preference panel in the way it does for links from other applications
Even though many websites have specific links set to open in a new, smaller window...
Would you like you entire window resized because of a single tab?

OSX Panther

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2004
norway
Safari

I use Safari and i am very happy with it. Shure, it got some stuff that can mess things up, but it can be fixed by innstalling different plug-in's. Thats wat i did, and my safari works perfect now. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
My only gripe about Safari is a Mac vs. PC thing. It's the way that the webkit handles pull-down menus. In XP, you see as many of the list items as chosen, then have a set of scrollbars to navigate through the menu with. In contrast, OS X displays as many of the items as it can in a full view, and then you have to wait as you scroll down by "click-dragging". For example, if you are registering for an online service, and you need to select your state from a pull-down menu. Since I live in Wisconsin, we're way down at the bottom, and sometimes it takes quite a few seconds to get down to the bottom, while on XP, I can easily drag the scrollbar to the bottom, and select WI from there.

I am fully aware that this gripe is about a few seconds here and there, but to be perfectly honest, it interferes with the user experience of the OS. IMHO, Apple should chage the Aqua Interface guidlines to mimic the XP pull-down menu functions.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
broken_keyboard said:
You should be able to press 'W' to jump right there...

Even at that, there are some lists that are even longer, that are 1) not in alphabetical order, or 2) I'm not sure what I'm looking for, just browsing for the right option.

But thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.