Stupid, stupid, but still a little cool

Discussion in 'Community' started by wordmunger, Oct 7, 2004.

1. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Okay, so I did a MR forums search and noticed the search number was 666663. So I wondered if I could get number 666666. I did one more search, and bingo! I was the 666,666th search of the new MR forums.

Yeah, a stupid waste of time. Here's the screenshot:
    [​IMG]

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, I always look at the search number. In fact, I was wondering if I could get the 1,000,000th search, but we're looking at awhile before that happens...

3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

See below in the address bar...

Attached Files:

5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

coughspamcough. :p is there a way using applescript to make it refresh at a set interval? cause then you could run it and wake up having searched mr thousands of times....

7. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

Not that I'm advocating spam or anything, but refresh wouldn't do it. It will just refresh that same search. You'd have to make it do a new search every time, using a bookmark or something. But this would be a "bad" idea.

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Does anybody besides me get a kick out of noting when today's date has a pattern such as 01/02/03 or 04/04/04?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

January 23, 1945 would have been a cool birthday, I suppose - 01-23-45, at least in the US (in many other countries it would be 23-01-45).

My daughter's birthday is 01/01/01, which I think is pretty cool. She was born at 00:40, if only she could have held out another 21 minutes (01:01)!

10. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

You could call her a binary baby. :p

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When the century changed (on 1/1/00 or 1/1/01, depending on your interpretation), I was hoping to hear news that twins (identical preferred) were born the previous night, one just before midnight and one just after. Then they would be twins born in different millenia!

I noticed that we made a fuss over the 30,000th forum member but not the 40,000th.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

And you'd get the tax credit for only one that year....

As for making fusses -its only if someone notices - doesn't always happen, and this thread could have just passed by, but it didn't....:D

D

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I have done searches, but really never paid any attention to the number.

Yes, Doctor Q I do like to see patterns in numbers. Pay attention to odd and even. Like to pay checks when they fit into patterns like that. It seems that we have something in common. Although I'm not a math whiz like yourself. ;)

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yeah, me too. Once or twice I've looked at my watch to find that it's 12:34:56 :D

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

And we have! :D

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I don't know why but so often when I look at the clock it says sth. like 11:11 or 09:09. It happens to me pretty regularly that's why I noticed. I think it's kinda weird but kinda cool too. :D

17. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

I notice when my digital watch reads "12:34:56". I noticed when my car odometer reached 100,000 miles. I also think it's cool when the odometer is a palindrome, such as 115511, which is pretty close to where it is right now. Also, my most recent blog posting is 100, which is pretty good for just six months! Of course, I'm working on a new post right now, which will ruin that, but at least it will be a palindrome.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

My son was born on 12/13/03 - on his eleventh birthday it will be 12/13/14 : 11-12/13/14 - we thought that was pretty wild :D

D

19. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Not everything is that fun, sorry for shadowing the party but 5 min ago, I got a message from my PC -Design software- "Error CCC999000 in sector FFF777, please restart the program or contact technical support" ... you know, Tech support number ends with 333 ...

Damn, it's friday and I have to begin all over again because the project should be delivered the 10.10 ...

Hey, just thinking, and now some people recall relatives birthdays... My daughter was born the 20.11.02 (German format) , all directions is the same... that gives me an other sight about *funny* :rolleyes: numbers...

Again, Both of my children came to the world with a weight of 3333 grams, yeah, both...

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I have a history of looking at digital clocks and seeing the time is 10:21. I guess the only thing noteworthy about the number is that it is my birthday.

21. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

Going off on a tangent, but I am starting to have this thing with the number 23. A friend of mine told me that this number played a big role in his life, he was born on a 23rd and that it kept creeping up all the time. I thought it was just silly.

Then, one day, I gave him a book as a present and 23 was all over the place in there (I had not noticed it before).

Now I start seeing 23 everywhere myself. Chances are I look at a watch, or other display and 23 is there a few times a day...my two best friends were born on a 23rd etc etc

I tried with other numbers to see if it works (if I just pick out certain numbers), but it didn't.

Apparently, a lot of people have those number 23 encounters... I found this website with some odd links

cosmic number

but I still can't decide if I should stay rational or give in to the number mysticism... help :)

22. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=23#post23

if this post had a reference to 23 - *then* I'd start to get worried :D

D

23. wordmunger thread starter macrumors 603

wordmunger

24. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

???

anyone care to explain the original thread topic... I Still dont get what I am supposed to see in the picture.... :confused: :confused: :confused:

25. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

Wordmunger was *searching* in Macrumors forums and found himsel with the search number 666666, then we all started to talk about *strange* numbers and will end this saying that the end of the world will come the 10.10.10 because of a binary chaos, no one prevented, it was a bug, dave... only apple computers will survive... but we won't :cool: ...