Stupid! Stupid!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Vazza, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Vazza macrumors member

I've ordered a mid range C2D Macbook (stock config) and I'm already regretting not upgrading the RAM even before it's arrived (it's due to reach me here in London on Monday). Is there any chance if I take it to the Apple Store in Regent Street and ask them ever so nicely that they'll change the RAM to 2GB (obviously with them keeping the 2x512) for the upgrade price that I would have paid when I ordered it or is that wishful thinking? It's just that I'd rather not have to go through the hassle of returning it within the 14 day period and then re-ordering a custom one, especially as the delivery time is coming up to 2 weeks for the Macbook I'm due to recieve.

BTW first post here, so I apologise if I've put this in the wrong place, ta.

2. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

I don't think is an option for you at this point, but you may want to give the store a call to find out.

You may also want to look into other memory manufacturers. They are often just as good, and a fair amount cheaper. Plus memory install in a laptop is rather easy. The hardest part is getting the screws out. I don't know if these are options in the UK, but Crucial and OWC seem to be popular places to buy from on these boards.

Good luck.

3. jmsait19 macrumors 6502

It's coming with 1GB? That still isn't shabby. I'm using one right now with only 1 GB and it zips right along.

Obviously if you need more, then you need more. And Apple is not the vendor to buy from. You can find better deals other places.

crucial.com
    macsales.com

Those are the two I know of. The key thing is to get RAM that says it is guaranteed to work in a Mac. These machines are picky and they like the good stuff. Check out those two places to see if their are better deals.

Also do a search on the forums for RAM or RAM upgrade or something like that. This is a commonly talked about thread and there is a ton of information on this site about it.

In short... Don't go ask Apple to upgrade it, just order from somewhere else. That way you get your computer sooner and the RAM cheaper. And you will be all the happier.

Anyone else got any suggestions/corrections?

I don't have any personal experience from here but a lot of people talk abou them on the site.

And welcome to MacRumors. Congrats on your MacBook Pro

P.S. You only have two RAM slots, it sounded in your post like you may have thought you had more. So you will need a total of two (2) 1GB sticks.
    It looks like yours is coming with 1 already installed. The upgrade from
    macsales (OWC) will cost around $130 as opposed to $175 (all US Dollars) from Apple.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/MacBook/Pro/Core2/

4. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, if my post was a tad confusing...I actually have ordered a Macbook not a MBP and I know that it comes with 2 slots, which in the middle range spec are occupied by 2x512MB RAM. What I was hoping was that if I take the Macbook to the store that they would consider removing the 2x512MB (which they would keep) and replacing them with the 2x1GB for £103 (slightly cheaper than normal as I am a Higher Education customer), which is what I would have paid had I customised the Macbook when I placed the order.

I know 1GB isn't too bad but reading around, it seems that 2GB would have been the better option to future proof it, plus I do use Photoshop CS2 a lot and am planning to use Parallels, which I believe eats memory.

BTW thanks for the welcome :D

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Seeing how the MacBook will be unopened, you could always return it (provided it is not BTO) and then repurchase it with 2GBs of RAM. :)

6. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

That's going to be the last resort as I've already been waiting close to 2 weeks for the current one but at least it's a fall back ;).

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Right, but if you return it, and then immediately repurchase the same system that you just returned- the only waiting that you should have to do is for the cashier to ring you up. :)

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

In my experience, they will not do this. Here's why: when you buy a computer in the store, you're buying the stock model. If you want an upgrade, you have to pay for that upgrade separately; i.e., you'd have to pay for the 2x1GB sticks in addition to the stock model (2x1GB sticks from Apple is around US$600 separate from anything else). When you order online, the factory keeps the 2x512 sticks and puts in the 2x1GB sticks, which is what makes it so much cheaper. The factory keeps the 2x512 sticks but the store will not. Therefore, you have to buy them separately which is much more expensive.

As said before, it is much easier to buy and install yourself. It's really not difficult at all.

Sorry if the explanation is a bit fuzzy; that's how it was explained to me by the manager at one of my local Apple stores.

9. raleigh1208 macrumors member

As someone suggested, 1 gb of Ram should be fine. I'd suggest you try it with 1 gb for now; later on you can upgrade the memory yourself buying from OWC or another memory seller for less money than the Apple memory prices. Installing it yourself is easy. Plus ram prices should continue to come down.

10. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Apple Stores do RAM upgrades. I'm not sure if their prices reflect BTO prices but I think they are close. Just call up the store. I remeber last time I was there at the Genius Bar a listing of prices for upgrading the RAM in a MBP. It was like a seperate placard. So, my guess is they will do it. I would give them a buzz.

11. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, that sounds a good idea but will they actually have the mid range Macbook (2.0Ghz C2D, 80GB disk, Superdrive) with 2GB RAM? I thought Apple stores didn't stock custom specification products?

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess what you're saying is that I can purchase the mid range spec and upgrade the RAM whilst at the store...

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Some do, mostly flagship stores.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

lol. Ironic in that i felt the opposite way. I could get the RAM cheaper from third party but ordered from Apple as a BTO. Then remembered that i didnt actually have a screw driver to do the upgrade myself anymore. This made me thankful i did a BTO plus the extra gig is also covered under Applecare which is an added bonus.

14. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

Oh, well the Regent Street store is a flagship store right so finger's crossed I'll be in luck...will give them a call tomorrow.

Another thing...this was a Higher Education purchase (I'm a uni student in London) but it was paid for by someone else (bit of an early Chrimbo present). Will they still apply the HE discount on the custom spec Macbook (which would make it £860.10) and exchange it for my one (£755.53) with the difference paid using MY card (I do have the reciept but obviously I won't have the card that it was bought with)?

Sorry if my post is confusing!

15. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

You need the actual card im afraid. This has been the case from experience.

16. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Why not. As long as you enter from the University servers.

They never asked for my Student ID number. Why will they ask for yours?

17. Vazza thread starter macrumors member

I wasn't talking about re-ordering online...I was talking about what dmw007 suggested by returning my one and exchanging it for one with 2GB AT the store (assuming they have one).

daneoni, thanks for the reply...well I guess all will be answered tomorrow but if anyone else has had experience with regards to exchanging HE products in store, please post!

18. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

oh, exchanging, well i tried to exchange my stock high end for a low-end model with glossy screen (HE discounts and all) but was told i had to return my stock first and re-order the low end one. However, this was an online order. YMMV at a brick and mortar store (regents street). Although im not a fan of regent street, try that store first (go early though, when they're less stressed) then maybe try the brent cross one if the former doesnt work out. Its smaller but the vibe is waay better.

19. Max Payne macrumors 6502a

Opss.. Sorry mate. :)