Stupid Technical Question..

Discussion in 'iPod' started by iWinnipegger, Feb 18, 2007.

1. iWinnipegger macrumors regular

When I Rip CDs onto my iTunes ---> then put it on my iPod, and i connect my iPod to my stereo system, will it have the same audio quality as the original CD,

pretty much what i'm asking is do you lose any quality when you rip your CD onto your iPod and plug it into a stereo system, or does it sound better when you physically put the CD into the cd player and play it through the stereo,,

thanks for the help.

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

The songs on your iPod will be lower quality because they are compressed. The question is whether your ears can actually tell the difference between the CD version and the MP3/AAC/whatever version on your iPod. That varies based on a number of factors: the type of compression used, the bitrate of the compressed file, the type of music being compressed, the quality of the stereo system, and your ears.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

You will lose some quality by putting it through your iPod because the music is now in a lossy compressed format. However, for most people, this loss in quality is not noticeable. Only audiophiles can hear the difference.

4. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

wakerider017

I used mp3 128 kbps and my ears can not tell the difference.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It depends on the format you use. If you rip the CDs using AIFF or Apple Lossless, then you won't lose any quality because the information is identical. But then the file sizes will be much larger (and the Shuffle won't play those formats I don't think).

--Eric