Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
benwa02 said:
ya ive been checking there often. ive been told that apple will prolly do an update in january round the San Fran conference. the PM's are due for an update so the buyers guide says. thanks.

thats pretty cool that apple will let you get a cheap update if you bought a PM shortly before Tigers release in the PM's

..ignorin daveL's comment
Ignore the comment all you want, and the word is "probably". So, you have the money to buy a $2500+ computer (obviously depends on the configuration), but the idea of a $129 (max, list price) major OS update is a problem? Sorry, that doesn't make a bit of sense. I'm also wondering what 64-bit features are so important to you. Can you share what 64-bit Tiger features you plan to exploit and to what end? Just curious, really.

Probability of an cognoscente response: zero.

ifjake

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
daveL said:
I'm also wondering what 64-bit features are so important to you. Can you share what 64-bit Tiger features you plan to exploit and to what end? Just curious, really.

Probability of an cognoscente response: zero.

you probably could have made your point a little more nicely. nevertheless, it's a good point; how much would you really need 64-bit capability. from what i understand, 64-bit computing means larger memory addresses, which means that you would be able to access 8 gigs of RAM instead of the old 4 gigs of RAM. it would get really expensive and be highly unlikely that you would need that much RAM. now the G5 rocks in many other ways, many more advancements besides, but in terms of its 64-bit capability and how Tiger would support it, does anyone know if there is more to it than just how much RAM you can use?

daveL

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2003
Montana
ifjake said:
you probably could have made your point a little more nicely. nevertheless, it's a good point; how much would you really need 64-bit capability. from what i understand, 64-bit computing means larger memory addresses, which means that you would be able to access 8 gigs of RAM instead of the old 4 gigs of RAM. it would get really expensive and be highly unlikely that you would need that much RAM. now the G5 rocks in many other ways, many more advancements besides, but in terms of its 64-bit capability and how Tiger would support it, does anyone know if there is more to it than just how much RAM you can use?
Well, 64-bit integer math, in a single instruction. Yes, I could have been nicer about it, but having been on this board for a while, I'm really tired of people complaining, over and over and over, that Apple it going to charge for a major OS update.

stoid

macrumors 601
ifjake said:
<snip> 64-bit computing means larger memory addresses, which means that you would be able to access 8 gigs of RAM instead of the old 4 gigs of RAM.<snip> but in terms of its 64-bit capability and how Tiger would support it, does anyone know if there is more to it than just how much RAM you can use?

32-bit memory addressing meant that one application could only be give 4GB (4,294,967,296 or 2^32 bytes) of RAM. However the computer as a hole could still use more than 4. 64-bit allows 16EB (exabytes 2^64 bytes) about 4 billion gigabytes. Even the 32-bit 4GB roof only constricts scientific and server types for now. And even a 32-bit computer can do 64-bit arithmetic, it just takes a few more steps. Your basic or even advanced home/business user won't notice much if anything from a 64-bit OS.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
grapes911 said:
An example of an upgrade would be 10.3.4 to 10.3.5

Pardon, that is an UPDATE and upgrade is 10.2 -->10.3 -->10.4--? :)

If you buy a PMG5 in January and its released in March 3 months or so I believe its a 60-90 day policy go to your 3rd party vendor and they will get you the upgrade to 10.4 might have to pay for shipping however it will be free. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
stoid said:
32-bit memory addressing meant that one application could only be give 4GB (4,294,967,296 or 2^32 bytes) of RAM. However the computer as a hole could still use more than 4. 64-bit allows 16EB (exabytes 2^64 bytes) about 4 billion gigabytes. Even the 32-bit 4GB roof only constricts scientific and server types for now. And even a 32-bit computer can do 64-bit arithmetic, it just takes a few more steps. Your basic or even advanced home/business user won't notice much if anything from a 64-bit OS.

Tiger actually only benefits server ends at this point the most. The home user is getting duped into believing its going to rock they world. :rolleyes:

Apples marketing gotta love it. I have yet to see a home user place 8+ gigs of ram in they system. The cost alone think about the cost. :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
By the way does anyone have any information if "Tiger" will be on multiple CD's or a DVD. Since it would leave some Mac owners with CD-ROM drives out of the action.

Anyone know this as of yet, since "Panther" had 3-4 CD dev tools included. :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
it will defiantly come on cd's as even ibook g4's came with cd drives not to long ago.

it may be like ilife in that it comes on a dvd an cd's but i doubt it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.