Stupidest Invention??

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacFan782040, Aug 24, 2004.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not many, but then there are always stun guns to shut the damn thing off.

Dude Where's my Car?

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Ejection seats in helicopters. Solar flashlights. Dumber than car alarms.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Because, if there weren't car alarms, it wouldn't be nearly as fun to run up and down aisle in a crowded parking lot to see how many you could set off! :D

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

this a mac site. im surprised no one has mentioned this: WINDOWS!
    that, or maybe those japanese robotic toilets. wait, those are cool...oh, i got it! enzyte. does anyone actually buy that?

7. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

He he. :D

MacFan782040, i'm kind of confused about this thread. the title refers to 'stupidest invention' then somehow the thread goes to 'car alarm investigations'? :confused:

bizarre... :eek:

8. friarbayliff macrumors regular

Pants - honestly, who needs them? :D

Actually, most of the dumb inventions I see happen on paid advertisements or shopping channels. Selling a product through these channels almost screams "piece of crap!" - at least to me it does

9. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

Jerry Seinfeld does a funny piece on the stupidity of helmets.
    "Now why did we invent the helmet? Well, because we were participating in many activities that were cracking our heads, we looked at the situation, we chose not to avoid these situations, but to make little plastic hats so that we can continue our head-craccking lifestyles."
    yeah, that one was humrous...

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

11. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    What else do you hook your Atari 2600 up to?

12. King Cobra macrumors 603

Car horns.

Worst invention ever.

It's bad enough to contradict the rule of safety of other drivers by distracting them, but [1] in some parking lots, you have a lot of teens using them in the light that they save 5.23 seconds of mainstream traffic travel, [2] in traffic jams, you have adults acting like a bunch of teens making no more progression than those in parking lots, and [3] the horns are loud, sudden, and annoying! In the case of specialty horns, reread [3].

The forgotten proper usage of the car horn is to let others know you are pulling out of a parking space, and you can't see traffic around the back of your car. Even then, the car horn is the worst invention, because you get the [negative] attention of more people than just those around the corner, if there is anyone around the corner.

13. kerb macrumors regular

14. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

I actually saw one of those when Insomniac's Dave Attel went to Japan. There was a guy who invented useless contraptions. Not all were useless, but many were impractical or absurd....

15. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Those automatic cat litter boxes - with an electronic sensor that causes a lever to sift the sand when kitty is done with his duty.

My cat freaks out when the doorbell rings - I can't imagine him ever going close to the damn thing. This would serve one purpose, however - the litter would always be clean, becuase he'd find a safe corner of the dining room to use instead.

16. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

COMPUTERS- lol just joking

-I agree with horns- annoying- you use it maybe 2 times a month.

-Those little pocket bike things- motorized bikes that are really tini

- The hammer where when you press the button it has the nail come out

- Strawberry, Blueberry, etc Apple Sauce- makes no sence

-Those Dell laptops that are like 3ghz that are 2" Thick

- The cooking pot with holes in the top to drain out the water

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

That is actually a very good invention. Ejection seats in helicopters (and other aircraft) is the equivalent of an airbag in a car today. There are many many people that would be dead today if not for ejection seats.

And you've got it stuck in your head that when the ejection seat goes off, the pilot/co-pilot goes straight into the blades. Wrong. Please do a little research before talking about things you don't understand.

18. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia

you're crazy :) , those pots w/ holes on top are the best.. built in strainer for your noodles, dumplings, veggies!

19. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I work as a patent illustrator and you wouldn't believe some of the patents that get granted. Just remember, for every dumb invention you SEE, there are lots more you don't, but you can find them at the USPTO Website.

I would have included some examples here, but I can't seem to think of any right now. I just know that there are a lot of times I say to myself, "they patented that?"

20. neut macrumors 68000

neut

hey, they work... cats freakin' stink. i might get my roomate's cat (and my nose) one for Christmas. :) though she is pretty shifty (spent 3 days in a tree 'cause she was scared of a chihuahua)... we'll see how it goes. my freind has one and it seems to work well.

stupidest invention: money

peace.

21. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

the fact that there are hords of morons driving doesn't mean that the horn is useless or stupid.
    ever tried driving a winding mountain road? it sure helps to know someone is coming around that turn...

22. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Actually, there are times i've used them because idiots have almost backed into me, and it has definitely prevented an accident. And other times where people have been backing out of their drives without looking when it has come in useful.

So I've found it to be a pretty useful invention. But of course, it does get misused.

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

you know that if we dident have them the seasons would slowly go out of sync. it's not that hard to get your head around it

first off x86
    second off those card alarms telling you to step away from the car
    cars that talk to you
    phot booths with voices that nausiate you to hell

24. FriarCrazy macrumors regular

Nutrition labels on water bottles. I mean, honestly...

25. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

Leap years weren't really invented, they are a solution to the issue that it takes Earth 365 and 1/4 days to make it's eliptical orbit trip around the sun. So, every 4 years we Earthlings end up with an extra day to deal with. 366.