Stuttering keyboard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by IJ Reilly, Jan 7, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm not sure exactly when this started, but I seem to have developed an uncontrollable key repeat in my keyboard. It's as though the delay-before-repeat setting is set to the minimum delay (though it isn't).

Could this be a hardware issue, such as problem with the USB? Could it be the keyboard itself? I'm at a total loss. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know it's obvious, but have you tried a different keyboard? What sort of machine is it BTW? :)

3. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It is obvious, but I haven't tried this yet. I recently bought a new Apple USB keyboard for my Cube. The old one was so worn out... well, that's why I bought the new one. I'll give it try. Any other thoughts in the meantime?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe reset the PRAM. It's probably best to try the other keyboard first to see which component is causing you grief, although PRAM resets are generally pretty harmless. :)

5. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I reconnected the old keyboard, and as nearly as I can tell after a few minutes of typing, the stutter is gone. It might come back, it's hard to say since the problem with the new one seems to come in waves (fine for a while then it starts repeating keys). In any event at this point the new keyboard seems to be implicated. I have a difficult time imagining what could cause a keyboard to behave this way.

6. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

thats really odd, maybe the sensors under the keys are sticking perhaps? is it all of the keys when it happens?

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I haven't tried to figure out whether it's happening with more than one key, but I should. Good point.