Stylus and Protective Films/Shields?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by itzcoolz, Aug 22, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

May 6, 2010
    I have been looking into using a stylus for note-taking, and I've been really disappointed in the performance of the products thus far. I've used the Pogo Sketch, and i felt like i've had to press down pretty hard for it to register.

It's made me curious as to whether or not the problem is that I'm using a screen protector (BodyGuardz). Has it been shown that screen protectors make it harder for the screen to detect input from styluses? This presents an interesting dilemma because screen protectors seem most useful when you are actually using a stylus, haha.

How has your experience been with styluses and protective films? Please include brand names and models, if possible.
  2. macrumors 68020

Mar 24, 2010
    I find screen overlays have no effect on stylus response. But I do notice that any stylus glides smoother on Anti-Glare overlays.
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

May 6, 2010
    Which screen protector and stylus have you used?
  4. macrumors 65816

Feb 5, 2010
    Canadian Eh!
    I've been looking at the TouchTek pen/stylus combo which retails for about 14$USD

5. thread starter macrumors regular

May 6, 2010
    as a heads up, i just received the Boxwave Styra, which is also a stylus and pen combination. Boxwave's other stylus received good reviews on Amazon, so I ordered it and I am impressed.

It works noticeably better than the pogo sketch. The tip of the Boxwave styra is rubber, and so it feels a little better when writing compared with the felt tip of the pogo sketch. I felt like I din't have to press as hard with the Boxwave styra. One downside is that it did squeak a small amount when writting, but it did not bother me in the slightest.

I also have several other styluses on order (i'm thinking about making an app that would require a stylus, so i figured it would be worth the investment), and i'll post my thoughts along the way. If i get around to it, i might order the TouchTec penz too, but it didn't have very high reviews on Amazon. I am currently waiting for a Dagi stylus in the mail.
  6. macrumors 65816

Apr 19, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I may have to check that Boxwave one out. I've bought stuff from Boxwave for almost 10 years now, and they've always had excellent quality stuff.

I also have the Pogo Stylus but don't like how hard I have to press to get it to register either. Every time I go from using the Pogo to using my finger, I realize how I barely have to touch the screen to register w/just my finger. I know a lot of artists are using the Pogo Stylus in conjunction with Sketchbook Pro or Brushes, but for me, "the finger" (ha ha) seems to work best.