stylus for Penultimate app?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by glen e, Mar 30, 2011.

1. macrumors 68030

on an ipad 2 - anyone got a link to one that works?

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 6502a

Xultar

Some guy posted that the Acase was good. I found it @ Amazon. I'm gonna get it because it is reasonably priced. Search for Acase in the form he said it was longer more pen like.

4. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HNCRNO

Just got this yesterday. Longer than the Targus (which I first purchased). About the same length as any average pen/pencil. About the same weight (maybe slightly lighter by decimals of an ounce, can't really tell) as the Targus. Thinner tip compared to the Targus. Same texture as the Targus. Comes with a headphone jack dangly thingy, which is easily removable from the stylus. I like it better, but I had much success with the Targus, so I wouldn't not recommend it... I just like the Nataal better.

Plus, it's 55% off right now ($8.99!) and qualifies for free shipping if you're a Prime member.

Cheers,
    KP

EDIT: Also, I'd totally recommend UPAD over Penultimate... maybe it depends on what you're using a notetaking app for, but I definitely prefer UPAD.

5. macrumors 6502a

Xultar

WOW! That one is the same as the acase but cheaper. ORDERING!!!!!!! LAWDY I love me some MacRumors!!!!!

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

thx!

7. macrumors regular

8. macrumors member

How is the Nataal for writing notes?

9. macrumors 68000

Awesome find...I just ordered it. Prime member FTW

10. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

I like it. Ever since I got my iPad 2 and a stylus (first the Targus and now the Nataal), I've been using it for taking notes, doing problem sets (like differential equations), and random sketches/doodles.

I've included 3 pictures. The first is a picture of notes I took using UPAD's "magnifying input mode" feature. The second is just a sketch. The third is a diff-eq problem done without the use of the "magnifying input mode".

After using the Nataal for awhile, I've noticed the tip is a little on the squishy side, but I still prefer the whole package over the Targus. Once you get used to using a stylus (and there really isn't much of a learning curve), you start kicking yourself in the butt for all the money you spent on pen/pencils/erasers/paper/notebooks over the years xP

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    KP

Attached Files:

11. macrumors 68000

12. macrumors member

Wow, thanks. Looks good; I may have to place an order for the Nataal stylus soon.

13. macrumors 65816

Thanks for the link. This looks a lot like the Acase 2nd gen stylus I picked up on Amazon a few weeks ago. I picked up a box wave at the same time but prefer the Acase because it's longer and the tip is finer (relatively speaking). The price on the Natal is pretty good. I'll probably order a few just to have around.

14. macrumors member

15. macrumors newbie

App for stylus

Is there an app that reads the notes and converts to type?

16. macrumors member

Upad and noteshelf are way better than penultimate based from my experience...penultimate just happened to be one of the first apps available that's why it's popular

17. macrumors member

that would be awesome. please tell me there's an app for that

18. macrumors member

Downloading now. Your post cost me $5 ;)

19. macrumors 6502a

Xultar

And what about noteshelf?

I'm trying upad right now with my 8.99 2day delivered nataal. It is just like the boxwave/targus but longer. Nothing special except the price...which I love.

20. thread starter macrumors 68030

I still don't get how to use the ipad for the results above - I need to rest my side of my palm against glass which negates the pen - what am I doing wrong? - how do you do what is above?

21. macrumors 65816

Writepad does a pretty good job.

22. macrumors 6502

Yeah, let us know how you take your notes with the iPad. I am interested in knowing as well.

23. macrumors member

Good find.. Just ordered

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

24. macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Hey everyone,

Well, in regards to UPAD, it's pretty simple. UPAD comes with a user-guide in its PDF section, but I'll try to explain here.

1st Method (1st Picture): "Magnifying Input Mode"
    So basically, you tap the little white squiggly icon in the bottom right (located on the translucent dark gray tab) and it pulls up to reveal a large area to write in, which in turn is simply a zoomed view. This allows you to write largely and naturally, then UPAD shrinks it and makes it look normal and neat. I guess that was a confusing explanation, but once you try it or read through the manual, it's as easy as pie. The translucent red area in the zoomed-in-view is pretty cool... once a stroke of yours hits it, it'll move the writing area to the right, so you can continue writing naturally and fluidly - it's fairly intuitive.

2nd Method (2nd Picture): Without using "Magnifying Input Mode"
    So, this is probably where most people get confused. They try to rest their wrist on the screen, but it starts negating the stylus. Well, what you have to do (in UPAD at least), is simply drag up the dark gray translucent tab. The trick is, you can't write anywhere that's covered by the gray translucent area, so that's where you rest your wrist - its UPAD's wrist-protection implementation. It works fairly well and I use it when I'm doing math, sketching, or other things that may not need to be as neat as simple note taking.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    KP

Attached Files:

25. macrumors regular

I really like Note Taker HD as well. It magnifies like upad as well. I think between upad, noteshelf and note taker hd all three appear to be very strong. I have no used upad or noteshelf yet, curious to see what the main differences are between these three apps.