iPad Stylus

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Samtb, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Samtb, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

macrumors 65816

Is there a stylus for writing which lasts for a reasonable amount of time. I've heard of many where the rubber tip falls off or wears away after less than a month of use and scratches the screen.

Is the Targus or Boxwave evertouch any good?

2. macrumors member

I've been using my Boxwave every day since I got my original iPad and have had no trouble at all. Also gets used on my Android devices.

As with most other things, you get what you pay for.

3. thread starter macrumors 65816

Cool, is it good for writing/notes etc

4. macrumors newbie

I use a bamboo stylus from Wacom. 2 months so far and I use it for notes daily. Also, you can buy replacement tips for $6/3 tips.

5. macrumors 68040

Badrottie

I got a Bamboo Stylus for my iPad. I throw it in my messenger bag with keys, coins, and portable HD, it never fail on me. :apple:

6. macrumors member

Applydea Maglus,spare tips and keyring storage for them are included. They seem to last for ages and it consistently gets picked as the most accurate stylus.

7. macrumors 65816

My favorite is the iFaraday. It has a sort cloth like tip. It has the least amount of friction of any stylus out there. They have different models depending on whether you do more note taking or drawing. IFaraday.com

8. macrumors 68040

D.T.

9. macrumors 68040

Used the targus $10 one with rubber tip since iPad 1 and still works flawlessly. Did not like the length so got the ultralife from targus yesterday with the rubber tip - far better in response and touch.

10. macrumors regular

Just got the box wave myself. I enjoy it. Almost got a bamboo one but couldn't justify spending 20 bucks

11. thread starter macrumors 65816

And do all styluses require you to push fairly hard? As in its not as sensitive when using a stylus?

12. macrumors 68040

The targus $10 one required me to push hard. The ultralife or w.e it's called does not.

13. macrumors 68040

I like the Boxwave and the Wacom ones.

I've tried those new metal wire mesh ones, and they work well, but here's the thing:

The say they are totally safe. Now, i'm inclined not to believe this. Common sense tells me there 'may' be a risk of microscopic scratches. It's metal on glass apparently, and you can feel the abrasion. if it was metal with a coating, it could wear down and 'then' cause scratches.

Anyway, the rubber ones work great, and I actually like the drag they give, something the mesh ones don't have.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

I doubt they'd use metal, I'm sure that would scratch it. I found out fibre mesh is micropropylene which isn't metal.

----------

Are they as sensitive as finger use.

15. macrumors 6502a

The Wacom Bamboo $30 one required me to push hard. The Targus does not. :D

The point is: quality control is a factor. That Bamboo one was definitely defective. But, I tried another in the store, and while better, wasn't quite good enough to buy.

I don't think there's a stylus that can match a finger for screen sensitivity.

Re: metal mesh? I've never seen/heard of the mesh ones using metal. There are non-mesh metal ones like the GoSmart(?), but those have a teflon coating. ANY stylus can trap a piece of screen-scratching silica, which I believe is the main cause of stylus scratches.

Regards,
    Tom

16. mac jones, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

macrumors 68040

As far as mesh goes

I bought a nice Boxwave mesh. I already own a rubber one, and it's very nice, so I bought a mesh one going by reviews.

The thing is, if you rub your finger on the tip and it's rough. VERY rough. Now, I don't know what this is. I was under the impression it was some kind of metal. My immediate thought was "Oh no", but then all these people are saying it's safe. Whatever.

But I can't help thinking that even if the tip itself doesn't scratch (microscopically), the uneven tip will catch debris; again, common sense?

As far a the Wacom goes. I hated it at first as I had to press down too much, as the dude above did. But for some reason I like it now. It's as good as the Boxwave, just a bit different. It's heavy, which is both a plus and minus I guess.

YMMV

17. macrumors 601

That's the problem with relying on "common sense". A material will only scratch glass if it is harder than glass. There's no way that your stylus tip is made of such a material.

Certainly possible and that's how most glass screens get scratched. Did you miss the post just prior to yours that said the same thing?

18. macrumors 68040

1) obviously, anything else but metal (harder than glass) will not be an issue, unless it's a debris trap.

And, I think I read your post. If your implying that you thought of it first, your barkin up the wrong apple tree me thinks :D

Of course your probably not, but after all, this forum is a piece of work, so who knows ;)

19. macrumors 6502a

Not meaning to be argumentative at all -- hopefully the information is found as useful:

As I understand, most metals are softer than glass, especially Gorilla glass, so metals should not be an issue either.

Regards,
    Tom

20. macrumors 68040

Thanks, I think you may be right.