Sub $1000 Apple Device?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, Nov 19, 2003.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

Amidst the flurry and disbelief of the 20" iMac rumors on Monday... one small rumor slipped through without being addressed.

The original ThinkSecret report contained a small blurb about a sub $1000 device:

The blurb was since removed, presumably awaiting further details... but Appleinsider also posted information they had available about the 20" iMacs and Dual 1.8GHz PowerMac and also referenced a third "mystery" product priced at $749 USD.

The identity of the 3rd product remains unknown, but speculation suggests the possibility of long-awaited Apple Display updates. No time-frame is available on the introduction of this next product.

2. macrumors regular

Dual 3.0 G5 Powerbooks! ;)

3. macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Rather than a display with no computer update, I think I'll hope for a computer with no display in this price range. Headless consumer Mac...

Cube anyone?

4. macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

At that price it'll be a G4. And I certainly don't object to that.

For those who are looking to switch (upgrade :) ) to a mac, a $749 G4 cube would certainly fit the bill.

Shoot, for that price I could probably even talk my parents into one. A nice, solid machine at a great price.

sweet.

5. macrumors newbie

Cube!

Please! It would be the perfect entry model for lot's of switchers. And, if it's the Cube design - I'm going to get one myself :D

But if it's a cube with say 1.25 Ghz G4, 2 ram-slots, 80 GB HD, FW400 + USB2 a price around 599-699 would be more appropriate - don't you thing :rolleyes:

6. macrumors newbie

A PDA perhaps? Newton II!

(I have no idea what things cost in $US, I might be right off the mark.)

7. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Would be nice to see a desktop version of the Fibre Channel RAID using off-the-shelf SATA drives.

8. macrumors 68030

CmdrLaForge

I don't belief that this is about the displays because it should be three products then and not sub $1000. Don't think that only the 17" display is updated and the others not.

Looking forward to a cube G4 1,25GHz.

9. macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

i would guess at this price perhaps a video ipod, i doubt very much this will be a computer and if it is i sure dont want see another g4.

10. macrumors 6502a

oingoboingo

Hmmm...$749. It's probably just a 256MB upgrade kit for the PowerBooks *boom tish!*

11. macrumors 65816

Stike

It´s the second coming of the Newton
    *runs, dodges, rolls and hides*

Well, looking at other rumors and thinking about the 20th anniversary of the Mac AND considering the possible return of the cube, I would say:
    it´s a 60 GB iPod :rolleyes:

12. macrumors regular

There's not going to be a cube. It was a failure, both techinically and sales wise. People didn't like it (except Mac fans). You don't go backwards, you go forwards. There is already an "entry level" computer from Apple, it's called an eMac. $749 is a guess.... a rumor. As this site has said, there's no specific information. Every time Apple comes out with some new product there are always rumors of "something else" that never happen. Remember the "tablet"? All the descriptions about size (7 X 9), pricing, etc.? Where art thou?

13. macrumors member

That device is not possible, as there is no 60gb 1.8inch drive yet.

14. macrumors member

It was a failure bot technically and sales wise. This is true. The main reason for this was very high price, and few features. However people loved it. at my office, the guy with the cube was always getting lots of attention for it - and he still does.

15. macrumors member

Why not?

the G4 is actually a pretty good archiecture. it is very comarable to Pentium M for example, which is enjoying huge success.

16. macrumors 65816

Stike

Yes. Look at my statement again. Considering all those vague clues and rumors about that product, and the VERY small chance of another low-end Mac coming out, I can´t think of anything useful at the moment with that price point. So I made an impossible guess, just to say:

I don´t have the slightest idea!

17. macrumors 65816

New eMac or New iPod Video player.
    At $750 the price of an iPod Video Player would be same price as new Sony Video/MP3 player that is debuting in Japan next week.

New lower priced eMac but with more features and faster processor.

18. macrumors 68000

Squire

I hope you're right but my money is on a 17" widescreen display. The normal 17" LCD is $699 so $749 is about right. I know that Samsung makes a 17" widescreen monitor. I bet that's it. (After all, the current model looks a little out of place next to the others.) I'm afraid that this is going to be another case of the Mac fans getting worked up over nothing.

Let's hope I'm wrong.

Squire

Attached Files:

19. macrumors regular

My Guess: The eBook. A laptop for education that contains no optical drive, and only an ethernet and firewire port. It will contain a 10 gig hard drive and a lower end G4 chip. The eBook will be light weight and smaller due to it's 10" screen. It will also be equipped with Airport Extreme, and feature a new program for Panther that, when plugged into a desktop Mac via Firewire, you can easily install programs remotely and transfer files. Ultra-portable.

Hey, as long as we're all dreaming.....

20. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Headless iMac, eMac, minitower, cube...

The name isn't important. If Apple comes through with a simple, minimally expandable headless, it will mean that they're actually listening to consumers. But history shows that Apple is more likely to do something that very few people want, but want loudly because of the "coolness" factor.

A $749 iBox would send their stock through the roof...

21. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

sounds a little pricey for a newton to me... maybe a headless g4. this is a pretty wierd price point for apple. nothing really in this range to compare it with

22. macrumors member

Come on New G4 Cube. I got my 1-click payment waiting for you.

23. macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Re: Sub $1000 Apple Device?

If true this could signal that Apple is serious about trying to win back users from the PC world. I DO NOT care what anyone says. These sub $1000 PC's have eaten away at Apple's market share.
    If I can honestly go up to a person who is having trouble with their 4 year old computer who is looking for nothing other then the basics in a computer system and point them to a sub $1000 Mac I'll be a happy person. Because until now I could not, in good conscience, point a users to a $1,300 computer when they can get something comp equipped in a PC for $500 cheaper. Here's hoping its true and it happens soon,

24. macrumors 65816

You can compare it to the lowend eMac.

25. macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Only if they want a bulky, 50 lb., 1 piece marshmallow with a built-in CRT. Most people have their own working monitor that they're happy with and have no interest in this type of machine.