sub $1000 portable?

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by funkywhat2, Jul 15, 2002.

1. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

apple could use a sub $1000 notebook, or hell, even a tablet, but they need a sub $1000 portable. it's a pretty big market, and there are plenty of people who need aportable or ultra portable mac but have to buy something used because the ibook is too expensive with a realistic screen-i.e. more than 12.1 inches.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I think this idea has already been floated. Check out the General Mac Discussion Forums for the thread.

hitman

3. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

It was floated, and then sank to the depths of time... Do a search for the 411 inside that thread...

I've said it before, and I will say it yet again....

Newbies... sheeeesh :rolleyes: :p

4. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

Just bring the 500mhz 12.1" dvd iceBook back out and sell it for $500 with 640mb RAM -- Apple would make truly gonzo cash.

5. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

sorry Alpha, you don't have to harsh me. that's why i'm a newbie.

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i am the oldest contributing non-god member on macrumors and i say go ahead and float this idea again and again until apple gets it right by seeing these boards

i know they watch us and others to get a pulse on the market

ibook 1999 - $1,599
    ibook 2002 - $1,199

at least the price is going in the right direction

also, welcome to macrumors

and everybody...$999 is fine;)

7. funkywhat2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

funkywhat2

thanks, jefhatfield. i knew somwone would agree with me.

8. dolstein macrumors newbie

How about an eBook in the $1000 range?

It makes sense for Apple to have a portable counterpart to the eMac. That would leave three separate product lines:

eMac/eBook -- computers in the $1000 range, marketed to schoos, students and lower-income households.

iMac/iBook -- computers in the $1500-2000 range, marketed to consumers.

PowerMac/PowerBook -- computers in the $2500 and up range, marketed to professionals.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 12 inch iBook became the eBook. Or perhaps you'll have G3 eBooks once the iBooks move to the G4 processor.

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

With all due respect, dolstein, I think the G3 line will soon be dead. Once the iBook goes to a G4 there is NO TURNING BACK for Apple to use a G3. Apple didn't do that with the eMac, and, IF there is an eBook, Apple won't do it for that, either. It is going to be G4 and onward.

Although Jaguar runs much faster on a G3, you still lose a lot of time in many applications, which require a G4. Examples would be iTunes, iMovie, FCP, the list goes on. Even a 2.0GHz G3 will not satisfy many consumers with big time video editing, when there is a dual 1.0GHz G4 (soon to be upgraded) to roam about.

Plain and simple...once you go G4, don't think about the G. be4.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i agree with king cobra

the g3, while a great chip for its time, will be dead when ibook sees a g4

who knows, maybe even the crt imac will get g4 thus closing the book on the g3 chapter

when g4 was stuck at 500 mhz for the longest time, i was hoping for g3 to save apple if you all remember spikey and me calling for apple to drop motorola

motorola has stepped up and hopefully does tomorrow morning

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

>who knows, maybe even the crt imac will get g4 thus closing the book on the g3 chapter
    I think the CRT iMac will also be dead. It's already getting beaten half to death by the eMac and probably will replace it as a CRT G4 computer.

>when g4 was stuck at 500 mhz for the longest time, i was hoping for g3 to save apple if you all remember spikey and me calling for apple to drop motorola
    I saved some of the best arguments with spikey and joey j, with a few with you in them, in case I am truly bored and am looking for burnt marshmellows. :D

12. Paolo macrumors regular

G3 out?

THe G3 isn't going out untill people NEED the G4, and right now, nobody needs the 128bit altivec chip... although it's good for OSX, osx runs okay on the g3 range. So the G3 is far from dead it's not going to be dead untill apple completely outdate the software for it... which they haven't done yet although, there pushing it with the release of jaguar.

13. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I like the idea for a sub $1k notebook...but I'm starting to think that it would be obsolete before it ever became a reality...

I don't know...right now I just wish I had more VRAM on my TiBook....then I'd be happy ;)

14. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

Do you remember the beige machines that you could buy extra VRAM and Cache for.... aaahhhhh... those were the days.

15. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

oh it's tue

The VRAM on all apple notebooks and imacs has bee disgusting lately.. that is the fall of these in my opinion. Now that QE is out and the video card will be required to do more work (as is in a PC) I can't see Apple not doing anything about this. Surely they will realize more requirements of the video card to draw the screen etc will require more video mem. It sucks comparing our topline tibooks have only 32MB of ram with no option for more and there are 64 MB notebooks around that cost much less.. like the GF4GO cards in the dell 8200's...

I hope my new iMac G4 1ghz will come with a gf4 64mb option or even gf3 option, since it's better than the gf4mx