SubEthaEdit no longer free?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mitthrawnuruodo, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

SubEthaEdit 2.3 was released a couple of days ago, but when I got to Mac OS X Downloads to get it, it was licenced as a Demo... :confused:

So I went on to TheCodingMonkeys site and there they wanted me to buy the new version for $35 when the demo expires in 30 days. Gone is the free non-profit/EDU version, the EDU version is now $19.95. :eek:

TextWrangler just seems better and better... ;)

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

2.2 is still available for download, but you're right, that's the last free version.

The free (for real) Smultron is a good substitute if the collaboration gimmick isn't wanted.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

I understand that they had to do that, though the price tag is kinda steep. At least version 2.2 is still free and it is universal too. so it is here to stay.
    I hear that Apple will integrate document sharing in 10.5 though so there might not be that much of a need for that anymore.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I was never particularly impressed with SubEthaEdit anyway. Never needed the collaboration features and the editor itself is good but not spectacular. I'll keep 2.1.1 around on my machine, but TextWrangler has always been great for me.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I'd pay if it did RTF support... but I'll just stick with the free TXT support.

Collaboration is amazing when you're taking notes. With three people, you end up with amazing quality stuff. :)

7. janey macrumors 603

janey

it's called taking notes in class with fellow Mac users, and not missing a word of anything that was said. Plus hilarious commentary, and miscellaneous chatting. It's the totally 1337 e-version of the tradition of note-passing in class :p
    Sigh. SubEthaEdit has been good to me since the Hydra days. Somehow no other editor comes close to it (imo)
    Not sure if i'd actually cough up some money for a 2.3 license, or just stick with 2.2..