Submarine crashed pictures

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mymemory, Jan 27, 2005.

1. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

This are the ones from CNN.com.

I can not complain about those who builded it, the impact was huge and the submarine made it back to shore with no problem! :eek:

If anybody finds more picture please add the link.

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Now if we can just get gwuMACaddict to give us the unclassified low down. Not an expert, but I used to hunt soviet subs in the cold war, and the damage this sub looks like it took is VERY impressive, the fact it did not sink is testiment to its crew and it construction!

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is too bad. Hopefully there will be thorough investigation. They need to find the cause so this this accident won't be repeated. Reassigning the Commander of the ship was a routine decision in this case.

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Scratch one $900 million LA class submarine. :(

Knowing the govt, they probably sell it for $250,000 as scrap metal.

Huge chunk of nose gone if you compare it to...

Old Drydock Picture of nose

5. Spizzo macrumors 6502

The cause was that they hit a sea mount that wasnt charted on their charts.

Now why it wasnt charted is another question. Either no one knew about it, or their charts wern't kept up to date. It the charts were not up to date, then it's ultimately the Capt.'s fault.

I'm sure that subs, like ships, are built to be damaged and keep on going. And the Navy has better "water tight divisions" than most other vessels.

On kinda the same note, I was at the Air & Space Museum (Smithsonian) in DC yesterday, and there were a lot of pictures of planes from WWII that looked a lot worse than this that made it back. Planes missing most of their tail, or a good chunk of the mid section, or had the nose blown up. Pretty impressive.

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I doubt it. The pressure hull was not compromised, and may have suffered little or no damage, as the outer hull and all the classified sensor arrays likely absorbed a lot of the shock. It will take longer to discipline the crew than it will to get that fish back in the water.

These subs are some of the most powerful and expensive weapons ever built, every time I read about them I am amazed at their capabilities and complexity. In some ways, they are more of a threat than a whole carrier battle group.

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Didn't say little or no damage, just that it wasn't penetrated.

No telling how many of the welds are damaged or compromised.

All depends what the find when they start cutting apart the 23 year old sub.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

True, but it would have to be REALLY bad for them to scrap it. There is a lot of metal between the tip of the nose cone and the pressure hull, so I'm thinking it will be fixable. Most of the smashed bits are part of the outer hull.

Honestly, the sensor arrays will probably cost much more to replace than the damaged structural bits, assuming it is salvagable. Welding, even stuff as complex as this, is easy compared to installing and calibrating the electronics.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May have already been scheduled for early retirement, one of the site said that the series before SSN718 would be retired early - while those improved subs built after would serve a 33 year life.

Should be interesting to see if they extend another subs life to make up for an early retirement.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I understand that's what they do in the Air Force, so it seems likely enough.

11. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

if you are impressed by a crappy old LA class, you'd be blown away by the Seawolf class then.

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    typhoon class ;) hehe

man thos pictures are crazy i cant imagine the impact

13. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

any probe that it wasn't windows controlled? :)

Attached Files:

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

This sort of thing has happened before only this time someone got killed. Its hard to see a silent mountain. The Captains career is over might as well resign or retire. Good thing that sonar array absorbed the impact. It could have been much worse.

15. ntg macrumors regular

ntg

According to the initial report last week, there have been more recent surveys completed of that area, they just didn't give a copy to the Navy.

Bugger, eh!!

Nig.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Well if it wasnt on the charts then it isnt the Capt's fault or is it?

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

haha- saw that on cnn when i got in to work this morning. pretty good picture showing a decent majority of what happened.

as for some of the other comments...

the commander's career is over, unless evidence shows that there is no way at all that this could have been prevented. even so, i dont expect that he'll be in command of anything again. the navy doesnt like it when you run in to things, regardless of why it happened...

as for fixing the boat... i haven't heard what the plan is here... it is an old boat, reasonably near retirement. i'd be surprised if they fixed her. i'd rather see them put out one more new virgina class instead.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im not sure about all that, do you really need gigantic attack boats when smaller ones can do the job? La Class has been a solid class of badarse submarines. Seawolf big and expensive what they need is another all new machine thats smaller and stealthier then the La class and still nuke. Bigger and bigger isnt allways better look at Macmini ;)

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

different boats for different jobs

virginia class, coming soon to an ocean near you

as for repairing the boat... looks like they're going to...

20. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

gwu, yes the navy has always made it better to go down with the ship, than come home with it goofed up.
    I was curious as to wether you thought it was fixable or a new parts machine.
    What they ought to do is hook it up to the grid in Guam. I was there for 3 years, power system got to be a mess when they gave it back to the locals. That nuke plant could power the entire island.

21. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i didnt think they would fix it, but from what i'm hearing they're going to fix it enough in drydock in guam so that it can make it back to pugent sound naval shipyard under its own power. from there it will be completely fixed.

guess they figure its worth it... i mean, the whole back end of the boat is ok.

22. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Done right Nuke power can be very safe. just look at our sub program. Still have the waste problem though and thats a big issue. I think they should store it on the moon like moonbase alpha. :D

23. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I am. :D

24. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Inner hull not breached. That is the key.

...Wahoo!

Sushi