Subnet internet sharing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I've asked before but didn't get an answer IIRC!
    basically I've my powerbook feeding off my wireless router, I have a run of the mill Ethernet cable attached into my Xbox running Xbox Media Centre. Which has the ability to go online, IF the network settings are right.

So, my Xbox's IP is
    My wireless router is
    My PowerBooks wireless is
    My PowerBooks Ethernet is
    The subnet is (I think).

Internet sharing via Ethernet is activated.

I just have no idea what i'm doing. on the Ethernet IP settings on OSX if i change the router IP to then I get an error saying that the router is not on the subnet?

help! :)
  2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    If your xbox is plugged into the PowerBook, try the PowerBook's ethernet address as your router.
  3. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Sep 16, 2005
    the Netherlands
    I have been battling with this for a few days as well, I also have a PC, Xbox and mac, as well as a linux router. I did get a switch though, for a few bucks, which made my life a lot easier, but not before getting it to work with ICS. Basically pay attention that your DNS is the same on your not yet connected device as the on the connected powerbook, I think. And I think the router should be set to the primary network card's IP as well. It's been a month now, so I'm not 100% sure on this. If you want to save yourself a headache, get a switch.

Subnet basically means the 2nd number from last, so IPs ending with x.1.100 and x.2.100 will be on different subnets.

Good luck!