Subscribe to MacWorld, Get Spammed?

Discussion in 'Community' started by dricci, Nov 21, 2002.

1. dricci macrumors 6502a

I just got an e-mail from MacWorld (I'm a subscriber) telling me that basically, they had added me to their spam list, and I had to send an e-mail to an address to be removed.

Now, as a PAYING subscriber, I don't think I should be subjected to being spammed! Hell, I'm not even sure how they got my e-mail address (but the name was the same as on my magazine address label every month, all caps, etc) so I know I got that because I was a subscriber.

I sent a message to that address to unsubscribe, and replied to the message with this:

I'm sorry, but I will NOT tolerate my personal e-mail address being spammed by anybody, let alone a company I am a customer of! They could have *asked* me if I wanted to be part of a spam list, but instead they add me and then tell me I need to do something to unsubscribe.

So, did anybody else get this?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not a subscriber to MacWorld, but its not anything new. I had to change my original email address at work that I had had for years because I was getting way too much spam. It worked perfectly - I haven't received any unwanted email in that account for over a year now.

Unfortunately, its not always benefitial to change your email. I just wish there was a sure way to filter it all out. I've been using Apple's mail app with the Spam filter on, but in learning mode, because from time to time it lables some personal email as spam - not good.

D

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i too, have yet to get beyond the learning mode... as long as it separates most of it, i can just delete it quickly.

i think the ideal thing, is have a main email address, then have another that you use to sign up for stuff.... unless of course you know it'll be spamfree to sign up for something with the main email address..

unfortunately, i get an assload of spam at my main address, and it'd be too hard to change it at this point... so i'm kinda stuck. ah well

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

That's what I've been doing. With my dukestreet account I have unlimited aliases and can sign up places as anything I want. Its a great way to trace where the spam comes from. My main email at home is getting a little busy, though, and I might have to change to something else in a couple years. That won't be fun.....

D

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

even worse

I got a free trial issue once, and before I ever recieved a trial issue they started sending me bills for a subscription, I didnt want a subscription so I never sent in a payment, and they keep sending bills! in one there was even a letter saying, if you dont pay we will have to but a hold on your subscription etc....what a bunch of crap.

6. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Well,

To some degree, you deserve it. You should never give your email to someone who doesn't require it. MacWorld, being a print magazine, requires your postal address, not your email, not your phone number, etc.

My mother recently got a new grocery store card. She had to fill out her name address and phone number (ummmm....I guess this is so they can call you if there is a grocery emergency!). I was over at the parents for dinner a month or so later, and during dinner they got the telemarketing call for online grocery buying...

The moral of the story, is that if you automatically give out valid markeeting information, expect to be marketed to.

Since very few businesses ever need to contact you for business, but rather for marketing, I myself always give out the contact info for the President of the Direct Marketing Association:

H. Robert Wientzen
    1120 Avenue of the Americas
    New York, NY 10036-6700
    Phone: 212-768-7277
    Fax: 212-302-6714
    bwientze@the-dma.org

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

My solution to the problem is having 2 seperate email accounts.
    When I need to sign up for something, I sign up under do_not@writeme.com
    (yes that is my real adress), but I don't give my real email adress
    out. SO far it has worked perfectly.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you, sir, are evil. pure evil. well done.

:)

9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

Actually, this is pure evil, and the one I use for the most insidious of marketing invaders:

Home address:

Wientzen, H Robert
    265 E 66 St
    Manhattan, NY 10021
    212-879-5606
    212-327-0497 (FAX)

If he's not home, try the vacation property:

Wientzen, H Robert and Lucille
    7300 Mandarin Dr
    Boca Raton, FL 33433
    561-852-4965

Give him a call and offer to sell him something...

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

EVIL!

i will support you in your run for Congress.

11. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

Re: even worse

same here, i was like "wtf, where the trial issue?" cuz i expected to get the trial issue BEFORE the bill, but i thought the free issue was just slow in the mail...but i guess not...
    u can guess which out of the two magazine (macworld and macaddict) i chose :p *cough macaddict cough*
    when i got my free trial copy of macworld, 98% of it was either adds, stuff i didn't want to read, or both lol, while macaddict had articles that were worth the time to read...thats why i just started subscribing to it (should get my first issue sometime b4 the new year hopefully)

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

OMG! Where did you get this info? That is truly wonderful though.

Have you ever tried to call him yourself?

D

13. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Impressive Nipsy... That's very wicked... I like it! :D

14. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

It all on the web...

I've never tried to call, but I do redirect telemarketers to my "New York home". They think "whale" when they get a bi-coastal target!

I also rarely get telemarketed, as I protect my contact info religiously, and keep a spam phone line which goes unanswered.

When a telemarketer gets through randomly/because they somehow got my number, I really like to screw with them.

Another favorite is to redirect them to competing telemarketing firms execs....

15. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Talk with em. A long time. Make them think you're about to buy, and then go over the details with em. Then tell em not to call back.

They paid. $5 a minute.

16. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

.... well? i get spam from applicando and i have only one visited their site, i am not even a subscriber... :( ... i just forward all that crap to spamcop

17. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I do the same thing using two email addresses that is. I use loujunkmail@attbi.com. If I start receiving too much junk mail at that address I just change it.

18. Choppaface macrumors 65816

mwhahahahaaha :D :D

hope one of them doesn't get really angry though..... can't they charge you with fraud?

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Re: even worse

Interesting. When I registered my PowerMac this year, I selected a year's subscription to MacWorld. I got an e-mail thanking me for registering and a link to the MacWorld signup. After I finished signing up for my free subscrption, I got a billing notice. However, I never got any issues.

This week, I received the post-registration e-mail from Apple again. :D

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: even worse

I actually received to back issues to catch me up to the exact date that I signed up. MacWorld has really changed it's almost useful again.

21. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I'm not sure if it is fraud, as I redirect telemarketers without misrepresentation.

I usually say, "I don't accept solicitations on this line. Try 212-879-5606 next week." I am not deceiveing, and it is thin to say I am misleading.

With things that require an address, I am an IP, or a fingerprint, neither of which are likely to be tracked without suit being brought. Again, I don't know if this is chargable/suitworthy, as I am not legally bound to tell the truth on most forms (many of which are unsigned). Additionally, I have inspired many others to similar behavior, either with Mr. Weintzen's info, or with their own chosen spammer/junk mailer (AOL is a favorite), so there is a nebulous community to point the finger at.

Either way, I would bet that the EFF, maybe a few consumer groups, etc. would defend me if I were to get sued, for the exposure alone.

Furthermore, and fraud suit will trigger a number of invasion of privacy counter-suits against several organizations which have failed to cease calling me.

I'm even thinking of suing for default judgements on several firms that have failed to mail their policies and written cease contact letters within the alloted 30 days...