Subscribed thread highlighting

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Aniej, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

In the interest of following Apple's lead from Tuesday, here is my little innovative thought of the day for MacRumors;)

One thing I have come to really enjoy is the that anytime someone on my buddy list posts a message it highlights the thread so I can easily see that it is one of my buddies posting (the exception being my boy mad jew when he gets rolling;) ). I was thinking that a really nice option to enable would be the same kind of highlighted message, but now available for any thread I post to or start. The basic idea would be that just like I have the option to choose the type of notification I receive, e.g., daily, instant or weekly, the ability to select "highlight thread I started" or "highlight thread I posted to" would be a very useful addition for those who want to be notified without having to resort to email.

This is useful for several reasons 1. it cuts down on the systems needs to send emails, 2. it keeps the user from having to leave the forum, 3. it allows fast and easy notification of a reply, a feature especially nice if you are seeking help and willing to wait in forum spy for a moment to see the reply. I just think it would be a nice addition and seems quite feasible, though I would suggest making the thread a different color than the one used for a buddy posting.

2. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

That's a great idea, but I don't know if the forum software has that as an option.

It would be a nice addition, but might not help that much...there is already the ability to show subscribed threads that have been responded to in the user Control Panel...add the notification system...and the ability use the Safari search command while watching forum spy and that's a lot of ways to find out more or less the same information.

That said, if it can be done easily and it would be helpful to some, why not add it?

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

yeah, but the prob with subscribed threads that have been responded to is that in situations where there are multiple posts being made in response, it is difficult to pick up on the new ones without losing some in the middle and it requires a constant reload when it updates.

i personally find the notification system a cumbersome process of notifying me. i would analogize it to having a blackberry buzz to notify me each time I receive an email even though I am sitting right at my desk with my computer in hand.

I am glad you are receptive to the idea though, but with the critiques I am going to have to say that only gets us to 1 1/2 votes so far ;)

4. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, for the subscriptions, you can just open the thread and click on view first unread, that should take you to the point where you left off. You do have to reload though.

I don't use the notification system at all...any thread I am really eager about, I drag down to my dock to make sure I can check up on it.

And if I am urgently waiting for help or for a new post from someone that needs help, I just use the forum spy and put most of the thread title in the Safari find command...almost like highlighting.

Still...I say if it can be done without costing Arn and the gang any sleep, do it...so you can count that as a whole vote. ;)