Subsidizing Uninsured Adds $922 to Insured's Annual Premium

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, Jun 8, 2005.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Now the argument from the righties has always been that a person shouldn't be forced to pay for someone else's health care. (Stealing, as some have called it.) I've always argued that you're paying for it either way. This looks to provide hard evidence that that is the case. You can't escape paying for the uninsured, so why not insure everyone? At least that way we can control some of the costs and keep more of the otherwise-uninsured out of the emergency rooms.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

An AVERAGE of $10.7K? So does that mean since my family only pays $4K, someone else is paying $17.4K/year? Yeegods!

Something seems seriously wrong with these numbers.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i pay nearly $5k/yr just for myself. looks like i'm bringing up the average.

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Likewise, for a crummy HMO. That's what we get for being self-employed. And I fully expect my rates to be yanked up another 20% when I turn 50 (coming soon to a birthday party near you).

5. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

One of the reasons I'm glad my wife is a teacher... We have PPO coverage for $5K a year for the both of us.

6. anonymous161 macrumors 6502

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains
    And some wonder why Americans carry so much debt.

7. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Interesting. As and employee of a school district, I am very fortunate to not have to pay for my insurance (other than deductibles, co-pays, etc.) It costs the district where I work around $900 month to insure my family. That's for Blue Cross, and if I remember, it's a PPO.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

If it wasn't a PPO, you'd remember.

It's become nearly impossible to start up a small business anymore unless you have a spouse who works for a government agency or one of the companies that still offers a decent family health insurance plan.

9. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Wow. I guess either my wife's employer is chipping in extra for health care or we've got some sweet deal.

And given our $922 subsidy for the uninsured, our deal seems even sweeter.

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hopefully this, along with the chairman of GM's remarks the other day, points to the beginnings of a sea-change in our attitude towards health care.

If you didn't hear, he said that health care costs were crippling GM, making it unable to compete with foreign companies, that it was hurting the economy not to have covered citizens, and that something would soon have to change. He specifically menitioned a single payer healthcare system, but I forget in what context. (presumably in favor of)

I forget who was mentioning it a while ago, but someone here said that the system will change when the corporations demand it. We may be turning towards that day.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Even with the less-than-stellar performance of Britain's NHS, I still really appreciate the benefits of universal health care.

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

In 2003, health care spending in the United States reached $1.7 trillion (15.3% of GDP), and $1.8 trillion in 2004. It is projected that the percentage will reach 18.7 percent by 2012.

Although nearly 45 million Americans are uninsured, the United States spends more on health care than other industrialized nations, and those countries provide health insurance to all their citizens.

Health care spending accounted for 10.9 percent of the GDP in Switzerland, 10.7 percent in Germany, 9.7 percent in Canada and 9.5 percent in France, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.

US Canada Germany France
    Life Expectency (t) 77 79 78 79
    Life Expectency (m) 74 76 76 76
    Life Expectency (f) 80 83 81 83
    Infant mortality/1000 7 5 4 4
    Under 5 mortality 8 7 5 6
    Hospital beds/1000 4 - 9 8

So, we pay much much more (our per capita income is much higher, so while spending as a percentage of GDP is only 50-60% higher, $/person spending is more than twice as high), and we get less. Half as many hospital beds. nearly twice the infant mortality. Shorter life spans.

http://devdata.worldbank.org

Nationalize health care.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That was me. I'm always prepared to take credit for a good idea, when I've had one.

Sure, health care is a big issue throughout US industry, but GM's real problem is plummeting market share leading to a shrinking workforce. They now have something like two people drawing a pension to every one working, creating a big and possibly calamitous pension fund shortfall (just like at the airlines). After this big layoff, this situation will get even worse.