Subtitles (.sub)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alxths, Feb 8, 2004.

1. alxths macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
    I've got some .avi and .sub files for them, that I'm TRYING to get to work. I've done some searching on the net, which has led me to believe that all you have to do is rename the .sub files to be identical to their corresponding .avi files, and MPlayer will automatically play them.... but that isn't working for me..

So, does anyone know of a way to get .sub files to work on os x?
  2. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
  3. joeyjojoe macrumors regular

Jun 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    you can put the movie into the playlist in mplayer, and then click on the "i" button at the bottom right. then choose the subtitle file (it doesn't have to be renamed to the same thing). press "ok" and everything should be fine.
  4. alxths thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 3, 2003
  5. iChan macrumors 6502a

Jan 12, 2003
    Dublin, Ireland.
    did a lot of work recently on subtitles...

titleLAB is a great little program for making your own subtitles for movies... or just download them and titleLAB lets you export the subtitles so you can integrate them into a movie for burning to dvd/vcd.

mplayer is good, but VLC is better for the sheer range of movie files it can play and brilliant output quality...

cellulo is a great program (the only?) that lets you view subtitles in languages with characters other than roman.

eh... i think that is about it... i would love to hear other people's experiences with subtitles...
  6. Ruben-D macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2008
    Well, a while back I found this utility to convert or synchronize subtitles. No need to download or install anything, you can use it online :)

It is also handy to strip html tags if they would be in your subtitle text.
  7. nadavvadan macrumors newbie

Dec 5, 2008
    i'll tell you what i'm doing.
    i'm watching a lot of movies with subtitles, and the only thing i need to do is to put the movie and the subtitles files in the same folder, then rename the subtitles file to the movie file and then just open it with vlc, not mplayer,
    what language the subtitles are?
  8. aleperroca macrumors newbie

Jan 5, 2009
    Synchro problems w/ jubler

I`ve been trying to synchronize a .srt subtitle to an .avi movie, both downloaded. I was led to Jubler, and I could actually change timming for a specific subtitle line, but the following ones do not respect the change. Anyone able to help me?