Subverting oppression in China.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Apr 15, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

The gf was having a chat with a student who skyped her from China, he was born in 1989. This morning I came across this doco of the Tiannenmen Square massacre I know that all references to it are banned in China (shame google shame) so I suggested sending the link to see what happened. He was able to pick it up and it did load. Ha ha. Power to the people.

He is online at the moment and had no idea that this is part of modern chinese history and has never seen any reference to it. Tiennanmen Square is rarely if ever talked about.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

that wasn't my impression when i went to China and went to Tiananmen Square. It seemed to be a well known part of China's history.

The Chinese government may try to hide it from the Chinese people, but I think parents tell their children.

e

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

As I've never been to China nor spoken to any Chinese on the issue, my story is probably outdated. That said, my aunt was set to take a business trip to Beijing the same day as the massacre. Suffice to say, she didn't go. She got a call from colleagues (that had arrived several days prior to the incident) asking her why she wasn't there. She explained her reservations on traveling due to the massacre. They replied with, "What massacre?"

4. rumbletum macrumors regular

My wife's chinese, well educated, would have been 12 in 1989, and she only has a slight knowledge of the incident, most of which was gained since she came to england in 2001.

5. MattQiu macrumors member

MattQiu

well im Chinese, i was 8 years old when the Tiannenmen Square massacre happened. there is only a little part of my memory that i can remember the TV and radio reported the massacre on that day in 1989, after that people can hardly know anything about the massacre, no one talked about it, cause it's kind of illegal to talk about massacre in China. personally i don't know too much about the Tiannenmen Square massacre, but i know it was wrong, like some other people, what i think is less i know about it the less unnecessary trouble i would get. im looking at the bright side of China government... after all, China is my home country, i can't against my home country just because one bad thing.

sorry about my english