Subwoofer help needed

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MOA1999, Apr 2, 2006.

1. MOA1999 macrumors newbie

MOA1999

I just picked up a G4, 20", 1.25 to replace my G3, 333. I have the apple pro speakers which sound very nice but lack a subwoofer. I have lots of stereo equipment laying around which includes several powered subwoofers. I tried plugging the sub into the headphone jack and that worked but disconnected my apple pro speakers so all I had was "woof". I don't really want to buy a whole new set of speakers if I don't have to. Don't have enough room on my computer desk to hook it directly to my stereo system. Does anyone have a idea on how to do this install. I just need some thump!

2. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you have a receiver and a working home audio system, you might want to consider connecting it to that. You wouldn't need any desk space for the speakers. Mismatched speakers are a bad idea...differing sensitivities, impedance, possibly overlapping frequency responses.

If anything, though, try a Y-adapter for splitting a headphone signal. Connect one to the sub and the other to the satellites and see how it blends. Maybe that would work out for you.