All iPads Success in transferring data plans from iPad to iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by itzcoolz, Nov 21, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

Now that the cellular versions are out in people's hands, I was just curious if anybody has been successful in transferring a data plan from the iPad to iPad Mini, either via swapping SIM cards or via website registration.

For context, I have an unlimited AT&T data plan for my iPad, and wanted to make sure it was possible to transfer it over to the Mini. I was planning on changing the IMEI number via the website rather than swapping SIM cards.

2. macrumors 6502

You are going to have to cut SIM to use it in the Mini. The Mini uses the new Nano-SIM. they sell cutters on Amazon for $10 and adapters for $2 in case you want to swap back to your iPad. If your account lists the ICCID number, that's actually the SIM number. I would just change it to the Mini ICCID and IMEI and not worry about your old sim.

3. macrumors Core

alphaod

I just cut my SIM.

4. macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I was thinking of doing this. You have to physically cut the SIM card? They give them out for free at Verizon, so I guess I can always get another one.

5. macrumors Core

alphaod

I could have transferred my SIM, but it was more convenient for me to cut mine than use gas and spend time driving to have it done at the AT&T store.

6. macrumors 6502

More cutting going on here than a knife party at like… some depressed emo kid's… look just do this:

Go to http://att.com/ipadlanding

Sign in.

Hit top button which is like "Edit Billing"

On next page at the top you'll see your current iPad's IMEI and ICCID numbers. Hit the "Edit" button or whatever it says.

Make sure BOTH your current and new iPad cell radios are off (airplane mode is fine).

Punch in the IMEI and ICCID of your NEW iPad. Hit Update or Save or whatever.

Wait 10 minutes.

Power up your NEW iPad, go to Cellular Data setting, sign in to your account.

Voila, your account - including the ol' Unlimited [& LTE] plan, if you were one of the lucky few - is now on your new iPad.

Did this for iPad 2 -> iPad 3 -> white Mini -> black Mini. No problems.

Now put the knives and scissors down.

7. macrumors 6502a

why not just sign into you account on the new iPad device and select 'transfer my account from another ipad?'

8. macrumors 6502

Behind the scenes I'm pretty sure this does the same thing as my process, but I had tried that with my iPad 2->3 move and while it picked up all my data, it did not move my unlimited *plan*. When I did the manual process, waited a few mins, power cycled, then it reflected the plan as well.

Since then, always recommended the manual route as I've never had probs with it.

Choose. But — choose wisely.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

hilarious! this is what i was planning on doing. does anybody happen to know how often I am allowed to switch back from iPad to iPad Mini and back again? for example.. if i did it once a week on average, would that be ok?

10. macrumors member

I'm very interested in switching from time to time too. Anyone know? I have the unlimited plan so I don't want to risk losing it. I suppose cutting the sim would be safer for this?

11. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

I called Verizon to transfer mine. Read them the imei and the number on the new sim then reallocated account in settings and it was all set. On the phone maybe 10 minutes tops.

12. macrumors 6502a

This. I don't know why people insist on there being more to transferring your data plan than there is. I've had every iPad and now on the mini and my unlimited plan has been transferred to each one without sim swapping or cutting or having to call anyone.

13. macrumors 604

ZBoater

Because that's too easy, and some people here prefer the hard way... :rolleyes:

14. macrumors regular

rsbell

I did this on my iPad mini. It worked like a charm.

Don't make it more complicated than it has to be.

I was able to transfer my grandfathered unlimited plan (AT&T).

15. macrumors 6502a

lol...agreed with everyone on this....no need to cut micro sim, thats old school - we use nano sim now ;)

16. macrumors 68030

CrAkD

I tried to do that before calling but every time I hit the cellular tab on the mini it only brought up a sign up page not a sign in page. I must have missed it.

17. macrumors 6502

I have the original 3g wifi iPad and when I went to the Apple store to buy the new iPad 3 I was ale to switch my unlimited plan from my original iPad to the new iPad 3 at the store without any problem. I was able to just transfer the unlimited plan to the new iPad. No cutting, no simming, nothing but a transfer. Now I still have the original iPad with only wifi and the new 3 with wifi/3G. 

18. macrumors newbie

How about transferring the account where you can't view from the http://www.att.com/ipadlanding site?

My account is a post-paid account attached to my phone, so I can't see it from that website.

19. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

AT&T is not the only carrier for the iPad.

20. macrumors 6502

OP stated "For context, I have an unlimited AT&T data plan for my iPad."

But thanks for weighing in on this topic! Super helpful, and also I learned something. Seriously! [ponders new knowledge]

21. macrumors 68020

Blorzoga

My bad.