Such a product?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by milzay, Dec 31, 2003.

1. milzay macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    I've been looking for a tv card for my iMac 17" and found that there's not much of a choice. Really only Formac Studio TVR and EyeTV 300. Everything else is not firwire so quality is gonna suck and other firwire products like canopus etc. do not include a tv tuner.
    Now the formac seems really good and will probably purchase this product in the future, however its a pain in the ass. The price of the Formac in the USA is $300, about $170, however the rpice in the UK is £350. Twice as much. So I'm thinking to get the thing imported but even so it will be cheaper, but still really quite expensive.
    The only other alternative i can see to this problem is buy somehow getting a PCI card to work without being slotted in. Now that sounds pretty stupid, but internal hardrives can be put into firewire cases so they'll work using firewire. Now back to my point is there a firwire caddy for PCI cards so i could use a pci card which is way cheaper through firewire. Im very doubful but is there anything like this or similar.
    Thanks and mind the mistakes i wrote this at 4am
  2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Feb 23, 2003
    Re: Such a product?

I wouldn't get it imported, the US version uses an NTSC tuner and the UK version is PAL.

As for the external PCI enclosure, I did see one in the long long ago however it used a PCMCIA interface. I don't think a FireWire device has ever been produced.
  3. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    I checked the NTSC thing out, and there is an American company had also provide PAL tuners with the formac studio tvr and do deliver to the UK. I contacted them and i'm just waiting for a reply.
  4. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i spent $350 (US) building a media computer for TV recording, watching movies and downloaded tv shows, and playing arcade/nes/snes games. it makes so much more sense to go that route, even though i use windows on it to run myhtpc. if you really hate windows that much and want to build a media computer, look into [url="]MythTV[/url]
  5. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    Formac seems to be out of business. MacOSRumors says Apple is building a video-to-Firewire interface. They may be full of you-know-what, but it still might be a good idea to wait until after MWNY before buying anything.

Building a PC just for this purpose would be like buying a Daewoo because you admire their hubcaps.
  6. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    -----> Video Adapter

Thanks for the advice cubist. I'm gonna wait a while and see what happens. Moving the topic along yesterday i bought the apple video adapter. Goes in the vga port on the imac to give a video out and s-video out. Mine doesn't seem to be working, any tips.
    Here's some information:
    I've got a 17" imac (widscreen) and PAL tv (not widescreen)
    I've tried on two TVs both the same (pal)
    I've tried changing the resolution, but it dosn' seems to make a difference, any advice.
  7. KBFinFan macrumors 6502

May 30, 2003
    Connecticut, USA
    I had the exact same question but was afraid to ask...

Maybe we should develop a PCI enclosure... think of the possibilites.

</dumb idea>
  8. sahnert macrumors 6502

Oct 20, 2003
    Re: -----> Video Adapter

when I used mine with my rev.a powerbook it seems like there was a place in system preferences > displays to chance ntsc to pal. I'll check it out if I get time.
  9. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Well, I still have a pci card that you connect to an external enclosure and that enclosure holds two ports for NUBUS cards, and have a bunch of NUBUS stick in cards. I believe this was for a server solution, to rackmount it. I never could get it to run stable, so I haven't working now. It's really, really old, from the days that Apple went from NUBUS to PCI.
  10. milzay thread starter macrumors member

Dec 31, 2003
    my video adapter's working now. It just neede to be pushed in a bit more. Has anyone heard anymore on the Apple firewire solution.

Ps- What's MWNY?
  11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    MacWorld New York.

I believe he meant MacWorld San Francisco which begins tomorrow.

edit: typo
  12. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    what have you got against daewoo?

I to own a cube