Suck minimization effect

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jalexster, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

I remember reading somewhere on the forums that there is a hidden "suck" effect, for when you minimize windows to the dock. i recall that you activate it through the terminal. Can someone tell me what to do? Please?

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Don't know of a way to activate it through Terminal, but there is a handy shareware app called TransparentDock that includes this feature, as well as some other nice dock mods.

3. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

TinkerTool 3.21 has it too. If you're going to use trasparent dock to get the suck affect I would atleast download tinkertool for all the other features it has.

4. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

So does Cocktail, along with some other interface tweaks and maintenance tools :)

5. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Stuffind my mac with enhancement programs wasn't exactly my idea of getting the suck effect to work.

I'm very sure it can be achived through a command in the Terminal.

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ah, but what's a Mac without a thousand shareware apps, right? :D

defaults write com.apple.Dock mineffect suck

7. Jalexster thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you for the code. I'm scared of Mac OS X shareware, ever since trying Haxies. Those things do more damage than good!

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, sometimes they can. I don't think you'd get too many bad recommendation here, though (I've been running TransparentDock for months with no problems).

Oh, one other thing - you may need to quit and restart the Dock for the effect to be in place. Use Activity Monitor to Quit the dock...

9. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....TinkerTool is not a "Haxie" - it does not install anything into your system like those Unsanity things (which I use a couple of and have *never* had any problem with). TinkerTool is basically a nice GUI that executes those terminal commands and modifies the appropriate .plist file. Absolutely nothing dangerous about it at all....oh yeah!

10. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

If the terminal's open anyway, killall Dock is a lot less hassle.

11. rock6079 macrumors 6502

this months macaddict actually had a blurb about doing it through the terminal , since someone already gave u the commnad theres no reason to repeat it, they suggested logging out then in, but im sure that was just so they didint hAve to go through "killing the dock" with the readers.

12. emw macrumors G4

emw

Cool. Can you guys recommend a good reference for Terminal commands? I know that there are many useful features there, but I haven't taken time to learn very many...

13. debo macrumors regular

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It looks almost identical to Genie, except that it sucks from one corner instead of from the middle of the bottom of the window.