Sucky camera angles in Zelda and more (*maybe* mild spoilers)

Discussion in 'Games' started by Spanky Deluxe, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

{begin rant}
    Eugh, this has just been driving me nuts for hours now! I've been trying to do the Cave of Ordeals thingy and I keep getting screwed around because of stupid camera angles. I mean why would I want to have a screen full of Link's face while I'm surrounded by enemies just because I'm up against a wall. Also it irritates me that you can't fire your arrows without first holding and aiming. Why didn't they make it that if you quickly push fire while aiming with the mouse cursor it'll fire in that direction. The number of times I've lost hearts because some stupid archer at a distance is firing at me and it takes me half a second to push the aim button, get re-orientated, find the guy that I was aiming at a second ago and shoot. Also, I swear in the windwaker version of the cave of ordeals there were regular health fill up locations. 5 hearts throughout the whole thing's just plain silly.
    Now don't even get me started on how crap that sky level is. It felt like a chore to play and took forever. Could a level be more boring??
    Apart from that Zelda's been great fun, best of the lot but these few little points have been driving me mad and have ruined an otherwise perfect game.
    On a different note, how come all of my wiimotes are now completely devoid of any battery power when one had new batteries in and the other three were brand new and then had only been used for a couple of hours of wiisports and then sat on my desk unused and untouched for three weeks while Nintendo sent me a new PSU. I mean they weren't touched. Nothing yet now they are completely drained and were all new batteries before.
    {end rant}

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It took me a while before I realised there was no camera control in TP. Think I was about 13 hours in. I got annoyed too, but then thought that if I got this far in without noticing then it really isn't that big a deal for me. I'd have liked some kind of system though, hold down 2, move the Wii mote around and let go to make the camera fixed in that position relative to the player.

And yes! I found the Sky temple boring at first. I really didn't get the style of puzzles there. Then it all clicked and I really enjoyed it, especially when I acquired the dungeons item! And the boss?! Best boss in the game IMO.

My BT Apple mouse & keyboard are rubbish with batteries too. My RF mouse lasts ages longer and on smaller AAA batteries. Plus BT really drains my phone! Life sucker I tell ya.

Now the load times with the Wii boot up and jumping into an app is something that needs to be fixed. Loading? Tch. In 2007? :rolleyes:

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

Agreed on all parts. (except the part about the BT vs RF mouse & kb cause I don't have either). There were only a few bad angles that I wish I could have manually controlled, but nothing too serious. And I seriously hope that a firmware patch can fix the speed at which the channels load... far too long in my opinion.

4. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Anytime I had problems with the camera angle, I just turned Link in the direction I wanted, tapped Z. Easy bad camera angle fix.

I made liberal use of that button. I didn't even know until later that the GC version had camera controls. Would have been nice, but not utterly necessary. The battles were so easy it's not like it really mattered, you could pretty much fight blind. ;)

5. ninewhereman macrumors member

I was wondering about camera controls. Interesting to find that the Game Cube version would have them, but not the Wii. Probably much easier to implement with the Cube having two analog sticks and all. Just wish the CC controller could used more often. Especially in Cube titles.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Back to what I said before - I really wish Zelda TP had a Boss Rush mode. They're just so well designed, a great inspiration. Especially the later ones (Water and Sky Temple, final).

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

I really enjoyed the battle with Zant even though it was far too easy (~14 hearts and I used one potion in the last section cause I kept getting hit by his spin attack).

I can't wait to fight Gannon, but right now I'm just running around collecting bugs, poes, and hearts. I want to get it all done, including the cave of ordeals, before I go beat Gannon.

EDIT: On another note, I watched the 2004 (?) E3 trailer for what became Twilight Princess, and I saw some stuff that they left out/ didn't put in. I would have loved a large wandering forest area (Not like Ordon or the lost Temple), and a battle against many (50+) of the goblins at the same time (w/ Link riding Epona of course) would have rocked.

8. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

AH common lay of the videos games for a while and spend some time with your new born son:D

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I know what you mean. But I suppose that's never been Zelda. It's never been super roaming with huge forests. It's always carved out passageways. I think that suits the series more, though I do love the more natural style too.

As it's been mulled over sooo many times here; I can't wait to see where Zelda goes. Shigsy said this is the last Zelda in this style so god knows what we should be expecting.

So long as they keep the kick ass music, re-introduce melodies to dungeon tracks and keep the bosses big, progressive and fun I'll be playing.

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Z button is my friend, too.

11. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Same with me...The Z buttton fixes any camera problems I have had so far...

12. jdechko macrumors 68040

Hey now! :)

Actually, we do spend a lot of time together. More than I "play" the Wii these days. Now it's a lot of checking weather, news, voting, etc (ie: not games). And any gaming is done while he's asleep anyway. So there's really little time for gaming anymore; at least at this point. :eek:

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It was a little wierd in the begginning not being able to manipulate the camera, but after a few hours I didn't even notice. The camera angle never got in the way of me totally owning baddies. The Z button and targeting pretty much takes out all the guess work.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I haven't beaten it yet; is there any way to replay old bosses, like how Wind Waker had you re-fight them in the past (black and white)?

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Theres a boss battle where you re-visit some of the smaller earlier bosses. But that's more like a remix than actually replaying.

So far there isn't. Which is so annoying, it's clear Nintendo put a lot of effort into the battles and to have them only played once per game is a little short sighted.