Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011
This is just insane. My 2gb plan renews on the 25th.

I texted to #data* and it I says I used about 7mb, the next day. Probably about right.

Two days later its 1.1 gb used!two days later its 1.8gb and they text a warning to me. I shut off cellular.

The next day they text me that I exceeded 2gb and they upped me to another gb for 10 bucks.

I went throughout the same thing with my iPad a few days ago,too.

I simply don't use either device that much and my past usage bears that out.

All of a sudden, though, they start saying I have this huge amount of data usage and my usage pattern is the same as always. Heck, I scarcely use the iPhone odor data at all. Just 5-10 text emails a day that are 1-3 liners.

And AT&T swears THEY are right and I am wrong.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France

I texted to #data* and it I says I used about 7mb, the next day. Probably about right.

Two days later its 1.1 gb used!two days later its 1.8gb and they text a warning to me. I shut off cellular.

The next day they text me that I exceeded 2gb and they upped me to another gb for 10 bucks.

All of a sudden, though, they start saying I have this huge amount of data usage and my usage pattern is the same as always. Heck, I scarcely use the iPhone odor data at all. Just 5-10 text emails a day that are 1-3 liners.

I'd recommend taking a look at your usage details on AT&T's website:

https://www.att.com/olam/loginAction.olamexecute

It won't tell you exactly which app or what process caused each instance of data usage but it might provide some insight into when and how the data was being used.

AznTakumi

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2011
What you are not explaining is what you did in those 2 days. I'm sure that data usage didn't just magically happen. I do agree that AT&T 2gb limit is a joke for Lte since you coul use 2gb in 2 days.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
What you are not explaining is what you did in those 2 days. I'm sure that data usage didn't just magically happen. I do agree that AT&T 2gb limit is a joke for Lte since you coul use 2gb in 2 days.

You're right that what took place during those few days isn't explained but the whole premise of the thread is that nothing out of the ordinary took place. Otherwise, why ask us?

Maybe I'm just giving the OP the benefit of the doubt but I would hope that no one would create a thread saying that their data usage is "suddenly" and/or "inexplicably" sky-rocketing when, for example, they've started having hours-long FaceTime conversations over cellular.

And AT&T's 2GB limit is a joke because you could use that in 2 days? You could probably use that in 2 hours with LTE. The limit would be a joke if that was the only option...but it's not. This 2GB limit is self-imposed, meaning if you don't think it's enough, you're free to increase it (though obviously at a higher cost to you).

sargein

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2012
I have noticed the same thing with AT&T last 3-4 days. I was hovering around 2.3 GB 20 days since counting, and suddenly I am at 5.3 GB. No video streaming or anything out of the ordinary. Luckily I have an unlimited plan, so not concerned, but can cause agony for those on limited data plans.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I normally use about 1.5 GB a month of my 2 GB plan.

For some reason on 10/23 @ around noon according to my account details I used about 650 MB, and on 10/24 @ around noon I used a little over 300 MB.

I have no idea how I used half of my monthly allotment in 2 days, I didn't do anything out of the normal. Usually around 11:30 to 12:30 I go to the gym at work and the Wifi does tend to go in and out, but I don't see how I could have used that amount of data listening to the SiriusXM app. I am trying to be careful for the next week, I don't think I will go over until I have another day like that.

nitemare

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
min data 4G data plan is 3gb. AT&T changed their data plans after the release of the iPhone 4S.

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011

Yeah, it did just happen. I don't even HAVE LTE (iPhone 4). And if anything the past few days have been lower usage. I don't get but maybe 10 emails a day on a busy day. I don't text, don't download, don't stream video, don't play games. Maybe check the weather on a website or read a handful of news articles.

I sort of believed I somehow used 10x more bandwith on my iPad when it happened there the other day. Now that the exact same thing has happened on the iPhone (even exceeding the limit after I manually turned of cellular) I am confident some other force(s) are at play here.

Smells to me like AT&T is juicing their usage data.

----------

It won't tell you exactly which app or what process caused each instance of data usage but it might provide some insight into when and how the data was being used.

Intriguing...

"Too many unsuccessful logins
For your protection, your account will be locked temporarily. To unlock your account, request a new password.

Please contact us for direct assistance on unlocking your account.
(LU003)

Further help:
Select the Chat button to contact a live agent online (Sun-Sat 6:00am ¿3:00am Eastern Time). "

and then...

"Forgot Password – Enter User ID
The information entered was not found in our records. Verify the information you entered is correct, and try again.

Have you linked your account to an AT&T Access ID? Make sure you are using your AT&T Access ID when requesting a new password.

You can retrieve your User ID if you have forgotten it.
(SFPWD10)

Further help:

Select the Chat button, if available, to contact a live agent online (Mon - Sun 6:00am EST ¿3:00am EST). "

SouthsideJohnny

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2011

Found that list (not in the above URL, different place since I'm in the 'small business' category). Usage doesn't show for the 25th through the 30th, but does prior to that. Daily totals are all it shows, and its between 8 and 30MB each day, which sounds like it's probably accurate. Thus 5 days of usage and 130MB I would be willing to accept as correct and normal. NOT 8GB, however.

AT&T says they will not investigate any billing issue until the next billing cycle closes and my bill is posted, which translates into Dec 4th before they will initiate any investigation on their end.

IzzysDad

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012

I've had this problem a few times with my Wife's 2gb plan. First time was actually two years ago this week. They claim it's apps that are automatically updating. I call BS. Wife typically uses 200mb or less, and every six months or so she sky rockets past 2gb. Sorry I don't have a solution, dealing with AT&T has proven to not be worth the headache. I've just been sucking up the charge and moving on.

BrandonJay21

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2003
Orlando, FL
I am having the same issue. I turned off cellular since last week until I am not so underwater with my data. I usually use 1.5ish gb a month. Doing nothing differently than I have in the 2 years I had the 4, I was told I used 800mb in 2 days.

Contacting AT&T did nothing. So now I sit and wait until I figure out what on my phone could be doing something, or apple releases a statement like they did for Verizon.

rick98761

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2005
Kansas City, MO
Same thing happened to me. I drove 40 mintues while streaming a podcast all the sudden my 65% notice came through. Then right after that rolled the 90% notice. The only thing my phone was doing was streaming a podcast from the podcast app that totaled 55mb in size. There is a major data usage issue and no one will fess up. For what it's worth ATT said to call them when the bill comes through and they would take care of it.

Abandapart82

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2008
My usage is crazy too. All I do is use maps and download a podcast once in a while.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 482

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I am having the same issue. I turned off cellular since last week until I am not so underwater with my data. I usually use 1.5ish gb a month. Doing nothing differently than I have in the 2 years I had the 4, I was told I used 800mb in 2 days.

Contacting AT&T did nothing. So now I sit and wait until I figure out what on my phone could be doing something, or apple releases a statement like they did for Verizon.

I have a week left and only 300 MB remaining. Normally that should be enough...you inspired me to turn off cellular data. I will only turn it back on as I need it. I am not sure what's going on, but I think it's been using cellular data randomly even when connected to WiFi.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I have a week left and only 300 MB remaining. Normally that should be enough...you inspired me to turn off cellular data. I will only turn it back on as I need it. I am not sure what's going on, but I think it's been using cellular data randomly even when connected to WiFi.

I don't blame you for turning off cellular data but definitely think it's a BS "solution" to whatever is causing this (I'm guessing you agree).

I found this related thread on the Apple discussion forums and figured I'd share:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20131166#20131166

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I agree 100%. When the verizon iPhone 5 came out there was a problem with LTE, the phone was using LTE even when connected to WiFi. I feel like this is a similar situation that needs to be fixed.

Someone mentioned iCloud in the link you sent. That's not an issue for me, I have that turned off.

I hope they figure it out. It's only $10 extra if I go over, but I am a cheapskate. Plus my school taxes are overdue right now, so every $1 is important right now.:D

I don't blame you for turning off cellular data but definitely think it's a BS "solution" to whatever is causing this (I'm guessing you agree).

I found this related thread on the Apple discussion forums and figured I'd share:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20131166#20131166

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
sounds exactly like the verizon issue. I'm sure it will be straightened out soon. I have not had any problems though.....only have 355 mb of unlimited 25 days into my cycle.

aliensporebomb

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2005
Minneapolis, MN, USA, Urth
Hm....

Our area doesn't have LTE but around the time of July or August everyone I knew on AT&T started getting what seemed like absurd amounts of data use:

My wife, my self and a friend of ours I see almost every day.

The friends' use seemed absolutely absurd, it was the 4th or 5th day of the month and somehow he had used 2 gigs of data and he only uses facebook and foursquare and email - no crazy gaming or weirdness.

Then the next month they charged him again and it said he had used 7 gigs of data and it was only the 2nd of the month! They replaced his phone bcasuse it may have been something in that droids' operating system.

My wife and I both had AT&T at the time and even though I was "unlimited" I supposedly had gone over 5 gigs of use within a week and they sent me a nastygram about it via text. My wife even got dinged.

I swear someething in their accounting was fishy because the next month this massive overage stopped.

Then I went to Sprint and I haven't had to worry about it. My friend figured he saved something like $750 by ending his contract early and going with Sprint as well.

ncruzpr

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
They same thing has been happening to me. With my 4 I never exceeded my 3 GB plan but since I have the 5 I am almost at 4 GB with 7 days to go with the same usage (messaging, FB, Twitter, the ocassional Youtube video, no streaming at all).

I think that its a glitch on the software of ios 6, and it could be with the "Wifi Plus Cellular" option that was on the beta but removed for the final release. Maybe its somehow permanently on on the final release and when you think you are using Wifi we are actually using our LTE. Thats the only reasonable explanation I can think off

Scottrc35

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
Data leak

I have noticed this too, Pre IOS6 I my iPhone 4 averaged 1.9Gb of my unlimited data plan. Last month I got a message from AT&T letting me know I exceeded 3Gb of data usage and to not do that in the future to avoid reduced data speeds. I did stream a lot of pod cast in in the car last month and figured that was the culprit. This month I have been very careful to download my pod casts before leaving WiFi hot-spots, and to not do any videos or anything on cellular data, I just passed 3Gb again so I am assuming I will be throttled now.

So I started to look at it, in settings I reset my cellular usage statistics to 0 and did not touch my phone for exactly one hour, when I came back to the phone it used exactly 1MB of data in that time (up and down combined).

I have also noticed that to save battery the iPhone turns off it WiFi antenna when the screen goes on standby. This means that the phone will continue to drain cellular data even when connected to WiFi.

So if the 1Mb an hour I measured is the average constant background data usage, that averages out to a little more then 700Mb per month being drained on my cellular data, regardless of WiFi use.

I have tried disabling notification center, I deleted my Icloud account, and still notice a constant data drain. the only way I have found to stop it is to turn off cellular data in setting ->General.

I've noticed a few other people talking about this on the net, but I think this problem is only just now beginning to come to light, as the number of IOS6 users has just reached 60% and I think people are starting to get their bills...

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2010
Houston, TX
iPhone 4 user on iOS6 and my data has spiked this month and I'm using my phone exactly as I did on iOS5...it's a software issue because I don't have LTE or an iPhone 5

Pimptastic

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Up North, UK
Same issue here in the UK on O2

Today, my phone used 500mb of data and I only used it to send 1 text message.

I installed that Onavo app last night to monitor which apps are using data and all the 500mb was used by video/audio when I haven't watched a video or listened to any music!

I've used 750mb in 4 days, when my average monthly use before I got the iPhone 5 was 200mb (I'm more often that not connected to wifi)

Spoken to O2 and apple and just keep getting fobbed off

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I emailed AT&T today, they ensured me that I must have lost my wifi and that I need to ensure that it says connected, as if I didn't know that. Like I said I have had the same routine for over a year now and this is the first time this has happened....3 times in one month!!!

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
I have noticed this too, Pre IOS6 I my iPhone 4 averaged 1.9Gb of my unlimited data plan. Last month I got a message from AT&T letting me know I exceeded 3Gb of data usage and to not do that in the future to avoid reduced data speeds. I did stream a lot of pod cast in in the car last month and figured that was the culprit. This month I have been very careful to download my pod casts before leaving WiFi hot-spots, and to not do any videos or anything on cellular data, I just passed 3Gb again so I am assuming I will be throttled now.

So I started to look at it, in settings I reset my cellular usage statistics to 0 and did not touch my phone for exactly one hour, when I came back to the phone it used exactly 1MB of data in that time (up and down combined).

I have also noticed that to save battery the iPhone turns off it WiFi antenna when the screen goes on standby. This means that the phone will continue to drain cellular data even when connected to WiFi.

So if the 1Mb an hour I measured is the average constant background data usage, that averages out to a little more then 700Mb per month being drained on my cellular data, regardless of WiFi use.

I have tried disabling notification center, I deleted my Icloud account, and still notice a constant data drain. the only way I have found to stop it is to turn off cellular data in setting ->General.

I've noticed a few other people talking about this on the net, but I think this problem is only just now beginning to come to light, as the number of IOS6 users has just reached 60% and I think people are starting to get their bills...
I noticed it on our IP4 pre-IOS6 too. Usually when we used youtube.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.