Sudden difficulties charging 2011 MBA while powered on

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by FlotationDevice, Sep 6, 2012.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2012

Beginning last night my Mac Air would suddenly no longer get any power from its standard adaptor unless I shut down the unit completely. (Note: this is different from times when the computer might say "not charging" but the magsafe light is amber and at least the battery is not running down).

At times I would down and the light woudl remain off--only after I unplugged the adaptor from wall and PC and then replugged after a few minutes did it resume charging.

Finally today for a time I could not get the PC to charge my any I unplugged everything again. Then, after waiting a few minutes I plugged back in and charging resumed, including after I powered on!

There has been no water damage and the unit was bought new in April 2012 (just before the 2012 refresh). Any ideas?
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    See the link for troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the following link. If that doesn't help, try resetting the SMC. If that doesn't help, you may have a problem with your logic board. Take it to Apple and have them check it out.

This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions: ]
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 21, 2012
    Thanks! I had not heard of the SMC and any need to reset--I think some of my shutdowns must have resolved it, but I feel much better having a checklist if this recurs before defaulting to a fear that the logic board is fried (I once had a similar problem with an old PowerBook 145, so my first fear had been a hardware break.