Sudden persistent virus attempt, is this normal.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dogbone, Jan 4, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

Sep 16, 2005
    S33.687308617200465 E150.31341791152954
    I only have ever recieved the occasional dodgy email. A couple of weeks ago I recieved the scam attatchment and made a post here about it (that was quickly deleted).

Anyhoo...since then I keep recieving this same particular attatchment. It's a zip file about 54kb.

I have a .com site which I use for my email there are 4 adresses attatched to it but the virus (which is an exe file, ha ha) only comes to one of the addresses. It is amazingly persistent in that it has come as the, an address, plus about 5 other official sounding addresses like my isp or admin at gmail. I keep making rules to get rid of it but it keeps coming with tiny changes like additional underscores etc.

Is this normal but I have just not come across it or does it mean that someone is trying to particularly target me. It's always the same size zip file and always from official sounding addresses to only one of my email addresses. My usual tiny quantity of spam doesn't contain attatchments and comes to various addresses with the usual crazy names.
  2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I think this is normal. I get spam emails that appear to be coming from my own YahooGroup. The Group is only used to email the people in the food co-op at my uni, so I doubt there would be many people from the store trying to sell OEM software.