Suddenly dark display

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meg1, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Meg1 macrumors newbie

Greetings,

I have a Powerbook 1G G4 titanium, model A1025. On Dec. 22, and again today I noticed a problem with the display. On the 22nd, I opened the computer from sleep mode, and couldn't get the monitor to display. Upon closer inspection, I observed that the display was present, just extremely dim, so that I essentially saw only slight shadows of windows, and couldn't see the mouse. I held the power button until the computer restarted, and it rebooted with a display of normal brightness.

Today, while I was working under a fairly high load (photoshop, several microsoft office apps, etc.) the display suddenly darkened again, this time while the display was open. Again i could dimly see outlines, and again a reboot restored brightness.

Any feedback as to what is causing this occasional blackout?

Thanks so much,
    Meg

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Try resetting the PRAM.

Before the Apple Logo appears, press and hold Command, Option, P and R upon startup. The computer will reboot again and make a beep.

If the problem persists, then there's almost certainly a fault. Then it would be a case of talking to your Apple dealer...

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I'm not exactly sure, but could the dimming display be a part of the battery saving mode? You can check that under System Preferences.

Also were you actively using the Powerbook when it happened the second time? If you weren't, instead of rebooting try fiddling with the brightness settings (they're on the F-keys... F2 and F3 I think). Since the problem seems to be pretty intermittent hopefully this isn't because of a failing display!

4. Meg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

wow...you guys are fast. thanks.

I don't think it's a sleep type situation, as opening and shutting display, etc didn't change the darkness. Also, I forgot to mention that i did try adjusting the display brightness, and it didn't help.

I'll try resetting the PRAM now..

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king