Suddenly not sure - maybe a pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by russtic, Feb 6, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Jan 21, 2007
    Hull, UK
    Okay I know this makes no sense! I am playing with a MBP - lovely keyboard, nice screen, not massively heavy and fast.

A MB is sufficient for my needs but I don't want plastic as it looks so unprofessional. The MBA seems ideal as it has a similar form factor but is more compact.

So I am not sure!
    MBA - lovely, cheaper (just),light
    MBP - lovely, more expensive large.

A 13" mbp would be perfect :( but that is unlikely to happen.

BTW I found the smaller button on the MBA annoying - kept missing it - how have other people found it?
  2. macrumors regular

Feb 3, 2008
    if you dont think the mbp is too heavy and large, id just get the mbp
  3. macrumors 6502

Feb 4, 2008
    I got a MB for my gf 3 days back. Played a bit with the MBA. Although I was waiting for it since October last year I did not find it best for my Use and requirement. Yes its chic, yes its sleek n a jaw dropper ;)
    But, I am happy I got a MB and not a MBA.
    As for me, I am somewhat in the same dilemma as you.. BUT .. I love the MBP's look n feel..
    I am not a big fan of the black keyboard(small keys) on the MBA..
    Add to it poor sucky mono speakers... I watch movies and videos a lot.
    I need 2 USB ports most of the time... or that's an absolute preference although its debatable(not for me) ..well...
    Moreover... I need a > 2 GHz 2 GB machine ...
    I have my reasons not to buy a MBA and go in favor of the MBP. I have thought over this for hours and hours and justified that a MBP is what I need and is a good investment for the next 2-3 years to come. Worth the bucks !! :)
    An interesting analogy would be - Do you need a hard-top BMW Z4 or a convertible Mazda Miata ?? :D
    It's all a trade-off between the X-factor and the Usage requirements !!
    If you are still wondering what suits you better. Go to the store again. Get a second look at both. Meanwhile, I would play a bit with the MB and wait for the Penryn based MBP's :p
  4. macrumors regular

Aug 4, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    Style or substance. Loafers or sneakers.

You'll look good with a MBA under your arm, which is perfect for sales, or for execs. Plus, if you don't need the power of a MBP, why pay for it?
  5. macrumors G5

Jun 27, 2007
    17" MBP weights the same as a typical 14" or 15" wintels,
    so MBP are NOT too heavy NOR too large.