Suddenly Shuts Off - Won't Wake Up

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iKwak, Jan 3, 2004.

1. iKwak macrumors member

This is for a G4 800mhz iBook.

I was using Fetch and uploading a lot of directories at once. During the uploads (after 5 minutes), the light turned low to conserve battery. Right then, the screen turned complete black and the sleep light didn't turn on.

I waited and then pressed a key, hoping it would turn on. No. The sleep light is not turned on.

I pressed the ON button and the iBook does not turn on or wakes up. The last time I saw the battery meter, it was at 2:30 minutes left.

I did not take the battery off just yet. Hoping someone knows what could have caused this to happen. This is the first time it occurred. Really sucks how it is turned off and would not turn back on when I press the ON button.

2. iKwak thread starter macrumors member

I didn't install the new 10.3.2 update. I took the battery out and back on and works fine.

Is this something I can simply let is pass by?

3. phillymjs macrumors regular

Try this...

If this happens again, you can try doing Ctrl-Cmd-Power to see if the Mac reboots... you don't have to take the battery out.

You also might want to try resetting the power manager:

1. Turn the iBook off
    2. Simultaneously press Shift, Control, Option and Power.
    3. Wait 5-10 seconds for the PMU to reinitialize itself.
    4. Boot the machine.

The when the Finder appears, the computer should complain about the date/time being incorrect if you did it right (but if you have "Use a network time server" checked, it may correct itself very quickly).

~PhillyMJS