Suggested HD and RAM Size/Speed for 1.6 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. maclamb macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #1
    I plan on buying a G5 1.6 this week (assuming no big announcements) and wonder:
    1. What manufacturer of SATA HD is recomomeded - I ant to add a second 80 G SATA drive for backup?

    2. What speed RAM PC2700 or PC3200 - and will it make a diff in this machine?

    I was planning to add another 256 to a total of 512. But would taking it to 768 make a noticable diff for "normal" office- like tasks (no PS or Final Cut, etc)


    Also, where is the mac shipped from/assembled?
     
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

    Mr. Anderson

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2001
    Location:
    VA
    #2
    Wait for the announcements - they're imminent - and if there is a price reduction, you'll be hating yourself.

    D
     
  3. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #3
    I'd also like to know if there is a speed/performace bump between the 2700 & 3200.

    I plan to get my new machine, probably a 1.8 Single G5, thru a place like MacMall or PowerMac, so that I can pick-up another 512 MB's of Ram on their free offer...something to consider maclamb. Also, you are going to wait 'till after the superbowl...Right? (you can't hide in another thread ~snicker)
     
  4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #4
    Good Eyes!
    Yes I'm going to wait - I was priced at the 1.6 range - but then remebered this becomes a tax write-off for my wife's business - so I'm back in the DP camp - I kinda feel bad getting something that is so much more than I need ...
     
  5. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #5
    Well DP is dif the way to go if you can afford it. I get to writeoff my next purchase also, but just can't afford the price jump. Now, if the rumors pan out, and there is a price decrease, who knows...maybe a DP for me too.

    One way you can justify the extra power/cost, is to do something with it that will make it pay for itself - these dp's rock for music/movie/gaming design.
     
  6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #6
    I know what you mean about the cost- I'm using my ADC discount to get the $ down to $1890 for a DP 1.8, Combo, BT,9600

    I keep thinking about jsut gettingthe 1.6 (or whateve rmay repalce it in a week...) and save ther ADC for a big purchase nxt year- but I don't seeit happening ...
     
  7. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #7
    Yeah...I know. The urge for more power is hard to resist...arh arh arh!

    But, if you don't need it and can't see needing it in a year or so, then I gotta say that you'll probably be very happy with the 1.6 or even the single 1.8, using your student discount, for a long, long time. Use the ADC next year for a killer printer/scanner/digital camera...or somethings like that. Just a thought.
     
  8. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #8
    Just thought of something else...Next year it's a kick ass apple cinema display. yoohoo!
     
  9. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #9
    EXACTLY - The ADC discount is once in a lifetime - about 20% off system, monitor, etc.
    I go back and forth - this next week may tip the scles - but if not - i'll probably go with an educ. disc for the 1.6 and put the extra $ into savings for the next big purchase...
     
  10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #10
    I did consider it and turned it down b/c they are the pre-built systmes with 5200, no BT, modem, Superdrive (and the ram deal is not so great - they hit y9o for $40 installation cost). Small dog has a systme now for 1675.
    I want a BTO: 9600, BT, no modem, Combo - I can get the pioneer Superdirve if I want it later for about $137.
     
  11. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #11
    Makes sense...I'm going over to smalldog to check it out.
     
  12. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #12
    Back...and disappointed...smalldog says you have to be an existing customer to buy over the internet per their agreement with apple. I'm not.
     
  13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

    maclamb

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2002
    Location:
    Northern California
    #13
    BBurchill,
    I saw your posts on Think Secret - about DP1.42 vs 1.6/1.8
    barefeat has these tests for speed -
    http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

    and clearly suggest staying with your DP G4 rahter than get a SP g5 -
    and if yo are only going ot have the machine a year I would agree -
    BUT
    If soneone in your office is affiliated witha ollege or school - get them to get a DP G5 on a educ. discount.
    Or wait a bit ;-) and see if they go to refurb.
    And. while a SP 1.8 G5 willoutperfom a single G4 1.4 CPU , the DP 1.4 may have th eege.

    I keep thinking about a DP 1.25 - but they are louder than the G5, have cooling issues (small case, hot CPUs fans don't blow wellon rear drives) and the 1.42 are appratly over-clocked and known to be somewhat unstable

    my 2 cents
     
  14. bburchill macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2003
    #14
    U have a good eye too.

    Thanks for the great info - that helps a lot!
     

Share This Page