Suggested HD and RAM Size/Speed for 1.6 G5

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by maclamb, Jan 24, 2004.

1. maclamb macrumors 6502

maclamb

I plan on buying a G5 1.6 this week (assuming no big announcements) and wonder:
    1. What manufacturer of SATA HD is recomomeded - I ant to add a second 80 G SATA drive for backup?

2. What speed RAM PC2700 or PC3200 - and will it make a diff in this machine?

I was planning to add another 256 to a total of 512. But would taking it to 768 make a noticable diff for "normal" office- like tasks (no PS or Final Cut, etc)

Also, where is the mac shipped from/assembled?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wait for the announcements - they're imminent - and if there is a price reduction, you'll be hating yourself.

D

3. bburchill macrumors member

I'd also like to know if there is a speed/performace bump between the 2700 & 3200.

I plan to get my new machine, probably a 1.8 Single G5, thru a place like MacMall or PowerMac, so that I can pick-up another 512 MB's of Ram on their free offer...something to consider maclamb. Also, you are going to wait 'till after the superbowl...Right? (you can't hide in another thread ~snicker)

4. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

Good Eyes!
    Yes I'm going to wait - I was priced at the 1.6 range - but then remebered this becomes a tax write-off for my wife's business - so I'm back in the DP camp - I kinda feel bad getting something that is so much more than I need ...

5. bburchill macrumors member

Well DP is dif the way to go if you can afford it. I get to writeoff my next purchase also, but just can't afford the price jump. Now, if the rumors pan out, and there is a price decrease, who knows...maybe a DP for me too.

One way you can justify the extra power/cost, is to do something with it that will make it pay for itself - these dp's rock for music/movie/gaming design.

6. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I know what you mean about the cost- I'm using my ADC discount to get the $ down to $1890 for a DP 1.8, Combo, BT,9600

I keep thinking about jsut gettingthe 1.6 (or whateve rmay repalce it in a week...) and save ther ADC for a big purchase nxt year- but I don't seeit happening ...

7. bburchill macrumors member

Yeah...I know. The urge for more power is hard to resist...arh arh arh!

But, if you don't need it and can't see needing it in a year or so, then I gotta say that you'll probably be very happy with the 1.6 or even the single 1.8, using your student discount, for a long, long time. Use the ADC next year for a killer printer/scanner/digital camera...or somethings like that. Just a thought.

8. bburchill macrumors member

Just thought of something else...Next year it's a kick ass apple cinema display. yoohoo!

9. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

EXACTLY - The ADC discount is once in a lifetime - about 20% off system, monitor, etc.
    I go back and forth - this next week may tip the scles - but if not - i'll probably go with an educ. disc for the 1.6 and put the extra $ into savings for the next big purchase...

10. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

I did consider it and turned it down b/c they are the pre-built systmes with 5200, no BT, modem, Superdrive (and the ram deal is not so great - they hit y9o for $40 installation cost). Small dog has a systme now for 1675.
    I want a BTO: 9600, BT, no modem, Combo - I can get the pioneer Superdirve if I want it later for about $137.

11. bburchill macrumors member

Makes sense...I'm going over to smalldog to check it out.

12. bburchill macrumors member

Back...and disappointed...smalldog says you have to be an existing customer to buy over the internet per their agreement with apple. I'm not.

13. maclamb thread starter macrumors 6502

maclamb

BBurchill,
    I saw your posts on Think Secret - about DP1.42 vs 1.6/1.8
    barefeat has these tests for speed -
    http://www.barefeats.com/g5.html

and clearly suggest staying with your DP G4 rahter than get a SP g5 -
    and if yo are only going ot have the machine a year I would agree -
    BUT
    If soneone in your office is affiliated witha ollege or school - get them to get a DP G5 on a educ. discount.
    Or wait a bit ;-) and see if they go to refurb.
    And. while a SP 1.8 G5 willoutperfom a single G4 1.4 CPU , the DP 1.4 may have th eege.

I keep thinking about a DP 1.25 - but they are louder than the G5, have cooling issues (small case, hot CPUs fans don't blow wellon rear drives) and the 1.42 are appratly over-clocked and known to be somewhat unstable

my 2 cents

14. bburchill macrumors member

U have a good eye too.

Thanks for the great info - that helps a lot!