Suggestion: Anything goes forum

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by dotdotdot, Apr 30, 2005.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have a suggestion for an anything goes forum.

That means that a user can post about the most RANDOM things, like "Does my pinky look cool to you?" and the thread a) wont get wastelanded and b) the posts wont affect the post count total.

Its not community discussion because thats relevent on some degree, and posts there should count towards the post count like they currently do.

Stupid? Maybe not...
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    this has been suggested in the past and the mods pretty much unamiously agreed it was a) dumb b) extra work ... c) not important for the forums.
  3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it is extra work and pointless really. not to mention things would probably get out of hand rather quickly
  4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
  5. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
  6. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Community discussion fits the "anything goes" role more than the OP's post indicates. The moderating is plenty tolerant in there; I've seen everything from a thread all in spanish to a thread all in binary to threads on F1 racing. Some threads do get locked, but mostly only if they're inappropriate.

Alternatively, you could post your coolness of your pinky thread (and the like) directly in the forum it belongs in: the wasteland itself. In accordance with your stated goals, the thread will neither get wastelanded (because you've saved the mods the trouble) nor will it count toward your post count.

Cheers! :)
  7. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    or you could just join ... It's a forum I'm part of, and its pretty much everything goes (as long as you post in the "lounge" or the "sewer." We even have a section for Hot Chicks! haha. It's good fun.
  8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    One of the strengths of this forum is the quality and nature of the moderators and their flexible & benevolent approach to things.

Having an unmoderated 'Anything Goes' forum is an open invitation to spam, p0rn, and piracy talk... and that's even before the completely uninteresting stuff like your pinky finger.

What would it add that we don't already have?
  9. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Agreed... if your life is so limited that you can even think your pinky finger looks cool, don't inflict it on the rest of us. Start a blog so that anyone else curious about pinky fingers can Google it...

As it is pretty much anything goes in Community. If people are interested (say if you'd modified your pinkie with an attachment so that you could hold down Command and Control with it simultaneously), they'll respond. If not, it will sink without a trace.
  10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    totally cool
  11. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Oh, thanks God!

A forum like that would boil my brain just because I am so against people showing up how proud they feel about their stupid thoughts and would make Macrumors looks like a child play and the overal image would degradade, speciallly the kind of visitors.
  12. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I know I've essentially been away from the forums for a few months, but I have to assume this is a form of sarcasm....
  13. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    One of the reasons this site has the great feel it has is down to the sensitivity of the mods, and by that I mean the blokes who have been doing it for a while.

I think us n00b1e mods are trying to follow their lead, to preserve the special community feel MR has.

I don't think there's another forum site on the net like it, and I'm proud to be able to help out.

I know that's not what you meant by "sensitive", but it works both ways, if we slack off, the place would fill up with spam and flamewars pretty quickly, then it wouldn't be so much fun.
  14. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I, for one, would be very interested in reading more posts about people's pointless, short, stream of (un)consciousness views on their pinkies or other danglies. I think there's a real lack of worthless threads on MR. Something this proposed forum would take care of. I mean, what if my yogi was lying to me?
  15. sourcemonkey macrumors regular

Mar 10, 2005
    One step forward, two steps back.
    Stupid? Yes.